Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
longlegggs_gw

Pesticides

longlegggs
15 years ago

We need to get rid of pesticides and grass additives that the animals will eat and injest. Numerous cases of dogs and cats with cancer inflicting their feet, from walking/laying ontop of these poisons. I would not want my kids running around barefoot on the lawns today! Thank God they are grown and we didn't use these products in the 60's

Comments (18)

• toxcrusadr
    14 years ago

I agree there is too much put onto lawns in the name of the "Better Homes and Gardens" look. It would be very sad if anyone's pet got sick from the crap they put on their own lawn, I would not wish that on anyone, but OTOH it's their own fault.

• mulchmamma
    14 years ago

What goes on farm fields and lawns ends up in our water supply, too. Just because a pesticide is banned in the U.S. doesn't mean it still isn't manufactured here and exported to the very countries we import winter fruits and vegetables from. It is also a very real reason for the decline of songbirds that winter over in Central and South America.

There is a reason why certain forms of cancers, i.e. lymphomas are on the increase, especially in younger people. This is what the hospital nurse told me before my bone marrow biopsy to verify my non-hodgkins lymphoma. #1 in health care reform should be making our air, food and water safe for everyone.

• carelljones
    12 years ago

before using a pesticide first find out the problem, confirm about the solving with a pesticide use or without it and follow up tests to use a proper 1 causing no side effects to others plants and people

• achildofgaia
    11 years ago

One thing to consider is eating your weeds instead of sprayin gthem. Many weeds have powerful tonic and nutritive effects and are highly gourmet. Before weakening your soil to get rid of what may be one of the greatest gifts your garden has to offer, get your weeds analyzed.
    Weeding and harvesting can be one and the same.

• Raw_Nature
    11 years ago

You guys are my kind if people, we need to stand up for what's right! We need to get rid of these poisons!

Achidofia: you remind me a lot like myself! I'm been trying to tell people this for who knows how long...

Speak of it, a man jus north of me In Toronto Canada Gary tibbo eats wild edibles exclusively... He lives off them!

Check this link out telling you more about this man

Joe.

Here is a link that might be useful: True sustainability

This post was edited by Raw_Nature on Sat, Mar 16, 13 at 2:09

• Konrad___far_north
    10 years ago

Let dandelions & clover grow in your lawn to help native bees,..put up some wild bee brood boxes.
    And if you want to be extra nice and have lots of energy, grow extra flowers,..it will help the bees!

• grandmamaloy
    10 years ago

Hear! Hear! A VERY good discussion on pesticides and the harm they do. I especially like the reminder about the fact that just because we aren't using them, that doesn't mean other countries aren't. We import an awful lot of food. A good reason to grow your own too. I've started using Food Grade Diatomaceous Earth to control garden pests, fleas and ticks. I live out in the country, and though I can't powder every place my dogs roam, putting DE down at the same time I apply organic fertilizer gets two jobs done at once! Try it...you'll like it!

• hmcanady
    9 years ago

Im not trying to sell anything here or try to get you to join my business, but im apart of a business that has 350 different all natural products no pesticides and no harsh chemicals in any of their products. All their products are things we use everyday in our homes and like i said its all natural . Again im not trying to push anyone into joining this business, but it is an opportunity to earn some extra money while using these products or just buying the products that are safer for you and your family. If your interested to know the basics of what the company is go to www.aimhighonline.net if you have any questions whats so ever just email me at canadyheather@yahoo.com

I would love to see everyone going green!!!!

Thanks Heather

• Juhea Kim
    8 years ago

Complete agree. Pesticides are extremely harmful for the environment, animals, and us as well. We need to be very careful in what we consume and make sure we know from which farms you are purchasing your produce. Organic is definitely the way to go. It may be a bit more expensive, however definitely worth it in the long run with regards to your health. If you are on a budget than at least understand which fruits & veggies contain the highest pesticide residue.

Below is an interesting article discussing the damaging effects pesticides can cause pregnant women.

What You Need To Know About Pesticides

• LuckyGardens
    7 years ago

Right on y'all!

• Christopher
    7 years ago

I do everything I can to help the bees. I used to see tons of them when I was young and now....not nearly as many. Everything we do on earth is linked and we will have to suffer the consequences if we don't stop using pesticides.

• kittymoonbeam
    7 years ago

Get the word out Organic farming produces as much food as large scale monoculture without the toxic chemicals' burden. The chem companies get rich, we get sick. It's the combination of many products and we don't know how they affect us when mixed in our blood. It's easier to eat clean than to fight cancer and costs less. Don't eat anything fried in or made with cottonseed oil! If it lists cottonseed, treat it like the toxic thing it is. Cotton isn't even a food regulated crop and the worst chemicals are used growing it. Ask what's in your food and prepare your own good clean food whenever you can.

Food Babe has a list of food additives, why they are there and the risks.

• PRO
    Elizabeth McGreevy
    7 years ago

Chemicals have been used on our landscapes since the end of WWII. There were tons of chemicals used for warfare left over and they were trying to figure out what to do with them all. Someone said, Hey, let's teach homeowners how to use them on their yards! The rest is history.

Side note, if you give your dogs heartworm and flea pills, you're pumping them up with more chemicals than the grass. I don't give my pets any pills. I just give them grain free, healthy pet food (I have 3 dogs and 3 cats) and treat them well. I get them tested for heartworm every 2 years. So far, no heartworm....going on 7 years.

• PRO
    Elizabeth McGreevy
    7 years ago

Here's what to do:
    Don't spray chemicals...ever. If you need to spot kill aggressive, non-native species, do so with a paint brush to target only those species.

Plant the right plant in the right place to eliminate chemicals and extra water to keep them alive. If it takes too much work to keep a plant alive, replace it with something better.

Fertilize only with organic fertilizers because they slow release nutrients.

Use hardwood mulch only the first 1-2 years, then switch to organic compost.

Don't EVER lay weed barrier, unless it's temporary. Weed barrier kills all soil life and reduces nutrient/oxygen cycling. The result is a sticky, non-aerated non-soil that stresses plants.

Anyways...that's a few pointers.

• natureislife
    7 years ago

Our over-reliance on chemicals is like our over-reliance on antibiotics and look where that has led us: a prevalence of antibiotic resistant diseases/bacteria. Did this all become so popular because of scare tactics? Everything has its place but the overuse of anything doesn't end well. Here is a good article on how pesticides wound nature: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/wounding-nature-and-ourselves_us_58cee7cfe4b0537abd957224

• Suzanne Douglas Heine
    6 years ago

As former head of department of natural environment I agree to achildofgaia (good name!): eat, what is possible to be eaten. You can do syrup out of blooming dandelions. You may eat chickweeds, which are good for kidneys, use it for one time a year no longer as 3 weeks, and you will feel good. This list may be much longer ...

• krissy377
    6 years ago

I agree...so many harmful stuff used on our lawns these days!

Sponsored