Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
marymargaret21

Why do they say solar is too expensive?

marymargaret21
13 years ago

I'm I all wrong here; I may be. Isn't there a federal income tax break that lets you recoup 30% of the cost. We did a great job with passive solar planning so our bills are pretty low, considering. I figure it will cost about 10,000 to put up an array of photovaltaic panels to supply our energy needs. Take 30% off the cost that leaves you with $7000.00 out of pocket. Figure we pay close to $2400 in unility bills a year. Which leaves $4,600 extra to pay on initial costs, which can be made up in a couple of years, not to mention, the ulility company has to pay me for extra solar power.

Also, Mother Earth News says there are two solar panel kits for under $200.00, easy enough for a twelve year old to put together, that work. That have the BBB stamp of approval too.

So is solar really too expensive?? If there were some way to spead the cost out over time without having to pay interest, it would indeed be doable.

What say you??

Comments (10)

• railgal
    12 years ago

It is not that solar power is so expensive. It's the initial costs. To power the average home, the costs runs $15,000 to $30,000. I know most annual electric bills come to over a thousand dollars a year, but people don't see it that way. Even if you sell back your access power to the utility companies, your looking at 15 to 20 years to match the initial costs. And utility companies don't buy the power at the same rate that they charge you.
    Personally, I think it is a great idea, but my spouse thinks otherwise. And we agreed that on a major purchase such as this, we must both agree.
    By the way, you must not have included the costs of permits for the building of your system as well as labor.

• dieseldame
    11 years ago

The reduction gained from selling power back to the utility isn't as large as you may think. You buy power you use at the retail price, and they allow a reduction to your bill at the wholesale price for excess capacity that goes to the grid.

In any case, a solar electric installation that you own puts you in control of your electricity, and heat to whatever extent you choose to implement solar thermal. To reuse a line, that's priceless.

• BackYardEngine
    11 years ago

Is it true that if more people "give back" to the grid that the power companies end up raising prices to make up the difference?

• kitteh
    11 years ago

Most can't afford the panels and installation, it'd be nearly half their year's earnings. You'd need to build a lot of those kits since one probably only can charge a phone.

• kentuck_8b
    11 years ago

You don't want to skimp on your solar panels, you need to buy the best.

The best also means the most expensive, but most have a 25 year guarantee, and can last 80 years or more, but they will lose some of their efficacy over time.

Most people want to live as they do now, but change from grid, to off-grid.

First, you need to see where most of your electricity is being used, such as clothes dryer, electric heating and cooling, etc.

If you start drying clothes by hanging them on a clothesline to dry, you've solved one problem. If you change from electric heating to woodburning, or propane, then you've taken another large part of your energy consumption away.

If you use solar panels for your waterwell, and lights, TV, computers, etc, you will not need a very large system.

Many of the solar kits that are sold with everything you need for off-grid power supply, are made for complete electric replacement. If you want to cut costs more, but have the battery storage, simple hook the batteries in banks that are each separate from the system. As one bank gets charged, flip the switch to charge the next battery bank, and so on. It requires a bit more work to monitor the batteries, but you can have less solar panels that way and save on the extra charge controllers and inverters.

Don't try to get by cheap on equipment, and research other options instead of complete solar power systems, and you can be offgrid at much lower prices than what you see advertised on all those websites.

They make solar kits for ease of hookup and for low maintenance, but if you're willing to do a little extra work, and think out your options, you can save thousands of dollars and be off-grid completely.

Kt

• Charlie
    10 years ago

If you are going to become energy independent you may need to modify your lifestyle. Grow a garden and compost your waste plants and leaves. Grow fruit trees and bushes as edible landscape. Use maximum insulation and energy saving windows and doors. Dry clothes on a clothesline; heat with woodburning; use windmill for your waterwell. Use overhead and stand fans to circulate the air. Use your solar panels for some lights, TV, computers, refridgerator, air conditioner, etc. You should not need a very large system and perhaps more importantly, you will enjoy life more.

This post was edited by CharlieBoring on Tue, Apr 30, 13 at 12:14

• Sammy388
    9 years ago

Not to start a whole political rant but a lot of politicians have been influenced by lobby groups to keep the old oil/fossil fuel dependent technologies in place instead of investing in renewable energy. Because of that, solar energy is a relatively underdeveloped technology. It is relatively easy to create energy from sunlight but the battery life of solar technology (just the storage of solar energy) is very limited and therefore expensive. I really hope it'll improve soon. The government really should provide tax breaks for those using/installing solar panels.

• LuckyGardens
    7 years ago

Well, we have solar four solar panels and well they break down all the time.

So I'd say we need to keep with the old oil/fossil fuel and fine the technology and use of solar panels and the wind turbans before going cold turkey on fossil fuels.

• Leliu Swann
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

It is really easy to set it up yourself instead of paying someone to do it for you. Your paying labor costs and set up fees. Solar Panel systems are not too expensive if you do your homework. it also depends on how big your house is and energy needs. Are you going totally off grid? or are you on grid with solar sell back? I am going totally off grid with solar and water catchment system. It is only me. Research it yourself, it isn't that hard. Not all systems need to be on the roof either. Save your money!

Sponsored
Central Ohio's Source for Reliable, Top-Quality Roofing Solutions