Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
peace2usuezq

Global warming

peace2usuezq
18 years ago

I would like to share my idea for earth day. I am hoping to get everyone in the world to do this. It really could work and it is so simple. We could make a significant impact on global warming all at once if we co-ordinate. It is my hope that everyone will send this letter to every news paper, conservationist organization, school, college, friend, family member and business.

You have my permission to copy this or print it and use however you see fit.

If every family in the United States replaced one regular light bulb with an energy-saving model, we could reduce global warming pollution by more than 90 billion pounds, the same as taking 7.5 million cars off the road. So, replace your incandescent bulbs with more efficient compact fluorescents, which now come in all shapes and sizes. You'll be doing your share to cut back on heat-trapping pollution and you'll save money on your electric bills and light bulbs.

I learned this information at The Union of Concerned Scientists web site. It is a great resource and I highly recommend it.

My idea is simple lets all change bulbs for earth day. These bulbs are so inexpensive now you can get three for under 8$. I am calling on all businesses that sell the bulbs to donate some and put more of them on sale the week of earth day. NYSEG and the other power companies can help too.

For large corporations they could make tax deductible donations of the compact fluorescent bulbs to social service agencies. This way people who need to save on their energy bills would be helped and they would not have to spend money they need for living expenses. The companies would help the environment and needy families and get a tax break, a win win situation all the way around.

Real change can not come from the government. Real change is made by us THE PEOPLE doing what needs to be done. Your politics do not matter. Preventing global warming is something that needs to be done and that we can act on. Just do an internet search on the subject if you think I am overstating the issue. You will be as concerned as I am.

My plans great merit is its simplicity. We can change the course of events on our planet. This is our job all of us not just a companies or a politicians responsibility. YOURS MINE OURS. The only way to really stop global warming is act. As for everyone out there that thinks they do not have to act that their one action does not

After seeing 60 minuets this week it really scared me and I thought about how I could make a difference.

The segment was about NASA top scientist James Hason being prevented from reporting his findings about global warming because the Bush administration would not allow it. He believes that if we do not correct global warming within the next 10 years, we will never be able to recover. We will reach a tipping point that we will not be able to change. He is not the only scientist who is making this claim. The Bush administration will not let him speak about this. What makes this scientist extremely credible in my eyes is that he refused to state the problem was worse than it was during the Clinton administration. Now the Bush administration would have him downplay the seriousness of global warming. Please read this article it is eye opening.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2006/03/17/60minutes/main1415985.shtml

A study in the US journal Science suggests a threshold triggering a rise in sea level of several metres could be reached before the end of the century.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/4834806.stm

Real change can not come from the government. Real change is made by us THE PEOPLE doing what needs to be done. Your politics do not matter preventing global warming is something that needs to be done and that we can act on. We only have ten years folks.

The United States is the largest producer of greenhouse gases and unlike other countries, who are making an effort at reducing greenhouse gases, our production has increased dramatically.

My plans great merit is its simplicity. We can change the course of events on our planet. This is our job all of us not just a companies or a politicians responsibility. YOURS MINE OURS. The only way to really stop global warming is act.

As for everyone out there that thinks they do not have to act that their one action does not matter. Please remember every raindrop believes it was not responsible for the flood.

As I said in the beginning of this letter I will be sending it to everyone and anyone I can. Please help me to forward it. Write to companies such as GE, Sylvania, NYSEG ect. And to our legislators help me spread the word.

Feel free to email me with ideas or questions at noglobalwarming@yahoo.com

Sue

Comments (30)

• vishnu
    18 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

You are absolutely right! I have an even better thought, that most aren't even considering though, why are we burning stuff? There's no need to. I have another explanaition that goes hand in hand with decreasing pollution. Think for a moment about shielding, ozone layer depletion is the result of burning yet another shield, oil. Oil disipates heat right? We use it in our cars to lubricate, or reduce friction. The core of "our planet" (stressing our), is very hot, right? Well I feel that the crude oil we suck out of the ground at an alaming rate is shielding the surface from that heat. We're sucking out the shield from within, and using it to burn holes in the outer shield, the ozone. The ozone protects us from the suns ultraviolet radiation. Won't you agree, that we are losing the delicate balance used in creating "our planet"? We the people need to act as one, on an individual level, and move the masses into the future, that won't exist if we don't change. The government can't stop us if we stick together. I have a website, and I'm working on a page that suggests our options. When I get that page uploaded, I'll put a link here.

• peace2usuezq
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I agree I wish I would have named the post better so more people would read please do post the link.

• vgkg Z-7 Va
    18 years ago

So far in our household we've already switched over to about a dozen of those new bulbs. I just hope that folks in China, India, and all the other growing carbon consumer nations do the same. Brazil is on the verge of converting all of it's vehicles to using 100% ethanol, this has resulted from an ongoing effort/sugar cane project since the original 1973 oil crisis. We all saw this coming but Brazil actually did something about it. This story was in the news just a few days ago. But I have to wonder what are the combustion waste products of ethanol? Need to look that one up...seems I recall a lot of "C" in ETOH.

• althea_gw
    18 years ago

That is a good idea for Earth Day Sue. It isn't hard to make a small change, one which is possible for nearly everyone. Even better would be having our leaders participate and ask that public building be equipped with such bulbs. Private industry could also easily make this change. Hotel and motels for expample, especially those our VP visits could replace the bulbs in the extra lamps, turned on so the room is lit upon his arrival, (yes, Cheney's energy policy in action) with energy-saving bulbs. An aside, surprisingly, the VP has a personal energy saving policy as he requires all of the tv's in a motel room be pre-tuned to faux news.

Here is a link that might be useful: cnn

• flyboy_fl
    18 years ago

It is indeed comforting to think that concerned citizens are suggesting ways the we mortals can affect the day-to-day (or eon to eon) temperature of our Mother Earth. I just hope that the heat they are generating in their intensity, does not negate the calories they are planning to be saving.

I won't attempt to minimize the calculable energy saved by these new energy-saving light bulbs. But, look at our great metropolises at night. There is enough illumination going on to energize (OK?) many of our smaller sleepy towns. But will the situation change? I doubt it.

Conservation does not mean not using something, or preserving it by putting it into a savings facility -- but it does mean "making the most appropriate use of."

IF, and I repeat IF, the dedicated opponents of the proliferation of the nuclear facilities necessary for the generation of zillowatts of power would just back down a little; we could materially diminish the choke-hold that the unfriendly oil-producing nations have upon us.

But, I guess that in this current atmosphere, that is still unthinkable.

How the world turns. When I was a child, the electric companies provided free replacement of light bulbs to its customers. A burned-out bulb was not using the power which the electric company had available -- and wanted to sell.

And, while you are at it, hers'a another thought. Replace your flashlights with the battery-less cheapies that you shake a couple of times to keep them lit. The Chinese vendors at the flea markets are selling them for as little as three for five dollars. The downside is that the shaking will provide exercise which will probably lead to your living longer -- and thus making an even greater "carbon footprint."

What should we do? What should we do?

:)

• marshallz10
    18 years ago

Great idea! The government is good at spying on us now with the help of private interests. Let's put that to good use by finding all those old folks with tremors and wire them up with as much comfort as possible to generate light. Perhaps we can wrap a few around lamp posts, serving to both light up the corner and act as Neighborhood Watch. Less crime means fewer police and fire responses, fewer executions by electric chair, and reduced Social Security and Medicare payments over the longer term. You know, good exercise in the great outdoors. Oh, and yes, reduced life expectancy from the unforseen ravages of Climate Change.

• peace2usuezq
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Flyboy you are one hundred percent right. It is all of the waste we create that is the problem. Just look at all of the new "disposable" cleaning things. Toilet brushes, swiffers, cleaning cloths in baby wipe type containers, my favorite new one a disposable cloth you use on the rug. Not only does all of this stuff end up in landfills but the energy and chemicals needed to produce them is incredible. Nothing is built to last. Computers, cell phones and other electronic devices are a large problem with all of their poisons. We all need to think about every single thing we can do to reduce waste ECT. Why dont they make these devices upgradeable instead of throw away? And LED light they are on everything I bet we could save another few tons of greenhouse gases by eliminating them. I am trying to forward this idea to schools and universities as well. If anyone has any ideas I am open my email is in the above post.

• pnbrown
    18 years ago

I see ole flyboy made a flyby; gosh, he woulda loved this forum in the good old days when conservatives had a strangle-hold here.

Most people I know have converted to cf bulbs - I don't know how it is in every household around the country but I doubt it will be long before they are the norm. What is desperately needed is technology that will eliminate greed, that inborn desire to get ahead of one's fellow, which is what ultimately will defeat all conservationist measures.

Since that will not happen, then the next best thing would be a dramatic destruction of technology, sufficient to hugely setback our ability to manipulate the environment and therefor our ability to maintain large populations. Evolving micro-organisms may reduce our numbers geometrically in any case, rendering our technology less damaging even if unaffected. Global warming will considerably accelerate that process, I should think.

• John Perilloux
    18 years ago

"Brazil is on the verge of converting all of it's vehicles to using 100% ethanol, this has resulted from an ongoing effort/sugar cane project since the original 1973 oil crisis. We all saw this coming but Brazil actually did something about it."

Maybe that will offset about 10% of the effects of their destruction of the rain forests.

• peace2usuezq
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Speaking of wasted energy, this is kind of interesting. How many of these types of devices are there in the average home. http://www.ucsusa.org/publications/greentips/

• joepyeweed
    17 years ago

I have been changing over blubs as they expire. Living in the midwest, I want to minimizing the impacts of global warming because I don't want all the people living on the coasts to be moving here as the oceans start rising. We have enough people living here, we don't need all the coastal crazies moving in too...

• wayne_5 zone 6a Central Indiana
    17 years ago

Is it normal for the curlicue bulbs to lightly flicker? I guess that bothers me.

• vgkg Z-7 Va
    17 years ago

Hi Wayne, you mean this type? :
    {{gwi:1370977}}
    Mine don't flicker, but they seem brighter than regular filament bulbs of the same wattage.

• pnbrown
    17 years ago

"Coastal crazies", eh? You can't be parochial enough to mean that seriously, I don't suppose.

In any case, even with GM it's going to be quite some time before before the sea wears the land away to your neck of the woods. You may have to worry about desertification long before.

• rustyj14
    17 years ago

Yeah, and seven to ten years ago, everybody was worried that the earth was going into another Ice Age! big stories in the mags and papers, crazies taking the bridge, all that! and if it gets too bad, we can always start making Soylent Green!
    Rustyj

• pickwick
    17 years ago

do you listen to AM Radio while you make repairs on your engines? Welcome to our forum

• scottar_swcp_com
    16 years ago

Yup, I was real worried about it after I saw the special, but after I went to this site my consensus of fear melted away!

http://z4.invisionfree.com/Popular_Technology/index.php?showtopic=2050
    And this site:
    http://wattsupwiththat.wordpress.com/2008/01/17/top-ten-science-based-predictions-that-didnt-come-true/

Yes these bulbs save energy but they are also a environmental hazard due to the mercury they contain. And regular incandescent lightbulbs still have there uses like in places where you only need short periods of light like in closets. You could also make them last longer by using thermisters.

Those compact florescent should be used in places where you need 30 minuets or more of light, turning them on and off like regular lightbulbs shortens their effective lifespans.

And try to buy stuff that is not throwaway like air fresheners or those convenient cleaning gizmo's products or all those cool electronic gadgets. www.storyofstuff.com

AGW is not the concern, it's consumerism and population demographics and growth. Don't get sucked in by the hysteria, it's another money/politico scam.

• marshallz10
    16 years ago

What special was that? I missed one that make me fear? Fear what floresent litebulbs?

• jmcat
    15 years ago

This is my first post on this forum, and I would have to agree on some of Scottar's points. I don't believe that global warming is happening on any large scale. Actually, that's not true. The entire northern hemisphere is warming up very fast! We could all die if it doesn't stop! And also, the fluorescent light bulbs do pose a problem. They have mercury in them, and there is currently no economic way (at least around here) to recycle them or have them disposed of properly. They are more energy-efficient, but the problem of the mercury disposal needs to be addressed before they are widely used and encouraged.
    -Jmcat

• Konrad___far_north
    12 years ago

We need more people like Sue.
    There was a thread on this,.. [link]

• carelljones
    12 years ago

global warming is mostly due to cfc's- chloro floro carbons emitted by refrigrators, ac, oven, air coolers..they are piercing the ozone layer causing it depleted

• Konrad___far_north
    11 years ago

There is also a natural accruing phenomenon about this CFCs.
    A conversation from the new Prophet Billy Meier of Switzerland in the year 1989...

Billy:
    Thanks, your explanation says more than I expected. Then I still have another question regarding CFCs. Concerning this, you once told me that certain gases, which are stored under the bottom of the sea and which rise up, cause even greater damage to the ozone layer than CFCs. Now, I no longer know what gas this was and out of what it arises.
    Quetzal:
    54. It concerns methane gas, which is stored as methane hydrate under the sea.
    Billy:
    At that time, you said that often enormous clouds of gas bubbles of this methane gas detach from the seabed, like, for example, in large masses in the Bermuda Triangle. These gas bubbles then rise to the sea's surface, where they form huge whirlpools, through which ships sink into the sea when they run into them, as the ships, due to the numerous gas bubbles in the water, are no longer carried by the water. If the gas clouds then ascend over the sea and fly into airplanes, then the methane gas becomes ignited by the engines or nozzles, whereby tremendous explosions arise and tear the airplanes into the smallest pieces. Is this right as such?
    Quetzal:
    55. That is correct.

• Raw_Nature
    11 years ago

We need more people like you guys, concerned about the long term, looking for solutions, you guys are great souls!! I heard CFLs, the energy efficient light bulbs emit mercury... My brother thinks I'm nuts using them.. He says when they break it is particulary dangerous, think that's with the majority of light bulbs tho, aye? I have a great idea as well.. Instead of buying food from the grocery store, and killing animals why don't we try our best and eat wild edibles nature provide us, they are all around us... Even if we all just do it for one day out of the week, could you imagine that impact!!! I try to eat all my food either from my garden, nature, or organic fruits/vegetables from the store on a bluemoon... Here is a great link that has a video included halfway down the page, It will give you more of an idea... A man just north of me in Toronto Canada by the name of Gary
    Tibbo eats exclusively off the land, wild edibles,etc... Check this out..

Joe

• vgkg Z-7 Va
    10 years ago

Last week I bought my first LED light bulb. I needed a 60w bulb to place in our foyer which is operated with a dimmer switch and it's works Great! Uses less ele power than CFLs and produces less heat too. It cost $12/bulb but will last longer than CFLs. Once the price comes down further in the future I will replace the CFLs with LEDs. These are the type of light bulb that one takes with them when moving as they might outlive me :)

• Konrad___far_north
    9 years ago

>>What is the true cause of climate change?Some info from the king of wisdom..

• PRO
    Intex Design and Construction
    8 years ago

Here are some water saving tips for the California Water Drought Issues:
    http://saveourwater.com/what-you-can-do/
    Also, check out Tree People, they are pushing for cistern construction for rainwater harvesting. https://www.treepeople.org/

• kittymoonbeam
    7 years ago

Join the Peoples Climate March on April 29 and the upcoming March for Science. @sciencemarch DC

Action now!

• kittymoonbeam
    6 years ago

Also something we learned at the March was the methane from animals is very harmful and so factory farming is a big problem. Eating a meatless meal more often could make a big difference. We should try never to waste any food, especially meat when we can. All these things can help. Every little thing is something. Keep those solutions coming friends.

GREEN IDEAS SAVE LIVES

• Konrad..just outside of Edmonton Alberta
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Curb the population...no country or government has the back bone to address this main problem...human activity = Global warming.

All one hears is we need more, more and more output, more production, more housing more growth, more sales, more taxes....more oil production etc. this will do us in one day.