SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nature_david

How to properly raise Yellow Spotted Salamander?

nature_david
15 years ago

Hi everyone, I live in Massachusetts and I have a few questions on caring for Yellow Spotted Salamanders. I have an in-ground pool, and I always find toads, frogs, and occasionally salamanders in it during the Spring and Summer months. I usually just scoop them out and release them into the pond in the woods behind my yard, but I decided to keep one of the Spotted Salamanders this time. I've had it in a fish bowl that's about half filled with dirt that I keep moistened. So far, I have only been feeding it baby crickets. I want to move it to a bigger tank (most likely a 10 gallon) and I want to make it as real life as possible. I've read on many websites about them and their natural habitat, but I just can't seem to find efficient enough information on raising them in captivity. What are some cool tank setups that I could use? I'm thinking about getting some more salamanders next year if everything works out, so I will also need advice on how to breed them as well. I'd really like to incorperate water into it's terrarium, but also give it a place to burrow. I'm not really sure how I could put dirt in with water without it turning into mud. And I know that they need water to breed, so I'm kinda stuck on what to do. Any advice or tips are greatly appreciated.

Thank you very much,

~David.

Comments (11)

Sponsored