Return to the Reptiles & Amphibians Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Black Rat Snake(Arkansas)

Posted by dbarron (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 19, 14 at 19:53

Well, I went outside and saw about a 4 foot rat snake sunning. I called a neighbor over to confirm he wasn't a cottonmouth (I thought not..but he was black and pretty thick and aggressive). We didn't harm him, though he was ready to defend himself. Neighbor took off sandal and approached closely with it....snake buried fangs in it repeatedly.

I want to not have the rats, mice, and maybe young rabbits that he will consume...but darn, never seen so aggressive a newly shed snake.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Black Rat Snake(Arkansas)

Non-venomous snakes don't have "fangs", though. Are you sure it was not a Black Racer? The highly defensive behavior sounds more typical of a Racer than a Rat Snake.

o

• Posted by dbarron Z6/7 (Oklahoma) (My Page) on
    Wed, Aug 20, 14 at 17:20

No, i don't think so...racers are slender..this was a thicker body...which was why doubt entered my mind about cottonmouth. He also had mostly obscured patterns which indicated rat snake.
And I say fangs...as in...buried his teeth in the sandal. I did not catch snake and open his mouth and ask him to say 'Ahhh...' :)

This post was edited by dbarron on Wed, Aug 20, 14 at 17:21

o

Any snake can have a grumpy day. Racers are permanently annoyed with the world.

Like this one?

o

Lol, I've never had a black racer not do what it's name implies...race away.

For me, it's the cottonmouths that absolutely hate me...they inevitably head right for me....I don't stand there to see what their intention is..when they reach me.

By contrast, while aggressive when pestered, this snake laid perfectly still hoping that we wouldn't see him....till he was sure he had been detected, then coiled, and struck (repeatedly). He spent some time up with coils in air too...oddly.

All in all, he put on as much show as a hognose snake (lol).

o

All snakes have fangs. But non venomous snakes fangs are very tiny, and produce no venom. Poisonous snakes have large fangs and the venom. Also look at the eyes. Non venomous snakes have round pupils. Poisonous snakes have pupils like a cat's eye.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Reptiles & Amphibians Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here