Return to the Reptiles & Amphibians Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Beautiful Blue baby snake

Posted by lisa11310 (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 2, 07 at 9:55

Howdy, first time posting here. I spotted a beautiful Brilliant Blue baby snake sunning it'self near my deck steps. It is about 5"-6" so I am assuming it's a baby. It is very FAST and I have only gotten a glimps of it twice. I would definatly call it an Indigo color when the sun is on it. I looked under Indigo snake but the color was not even close, or maybe it was just a bad pic as it was not in the sun. I am in the woods in West Michigan. I have a 600 gal pond,and am within walking distance of a lake. I have never seen a snake around the house untill this year when we had a nice sized (bull?)snake visit for several days this spring. Not sure of the name really but it is the one that is kind of grey and pretends to be a cobra. Wondering if this could be an offspring. This little snake is just so brilliant blue. Any Ideas? And of course should I expect more? Would the apperance of the bigger snake have anything to do with the lack of frogs in my pond this year
:( Thanks for your help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Beautiful Blue baby snake!!

Howdy again....I mis spoke, the larger snake that visited is what my Husband called a "Blow Snake" not a Bull snake. It did look very much like what you are calling a Northern water snake but it's pattern was not as obvious. As you can tell I know NOTHING about snakes. I don't mind snakes, they are pretty cool, as long as they are not snakes that can get to my eggs and baby birds in my nest boxes they can stay. Wont be too happy if they are eating my frogs either.

o
RE: Beautiful Blue baby snake

The big snake is an Eastern Hognose Snake. The small blue snake is a juvenile Blue Racer. If it ever slows down for you to get a good look at it, it should have bluish coloration with some grayish or reddish blotches and as it gets older it will become all blue. Both snakes are harmless and while hognose snakes do eat toads (usually not frogs) neither will eat enough to mess with the balance of nature in your area.

o

Thanks Wayne, Blue racer was my first guess....DDDAAA it's blue and its fast! silley me! I just have not been able to locate a picture of a young one. Don't think I have ever seen one. I don't think the larger snake is a Hognose...I looked at the pics and thats not it. Sorry for my bad discription. It looks very much like the snake that (rats) I think "run free" in Ohio posted. Let me go back and look. I will post again after I get my facts straight! LOL

o
RE: Beautiful Blue baby snake!!!!*

Yes it looked much like running_free from Ohio's snake ....Hubby just said he though they also called them "puff adders"? It was only about 4ft and 1to 1&1/2"dia at the widest point. It was NOT near the water, rather on the steps, in the rocks, and in the garden that still has last falls leaves in it. Ok it could be just about anything, I will trust your expertise! So I have a baby blue racer! :) I would love a pic if anybody has one. I plan on getting those leaves out of the garden this weekend, I will read up on where they like to hang out, I sure dont want to injure it with a rake!

o

Blue racers, when warmed up, can move along about twice the speed of an average snake and are excellent climbers. They can move through tall grass and when they encounter a tree, can shoot up the tree without breaking stride.

o

Here are photos and info about the racer and hognose. See link below. In west Michigan you will only have the eastern hognose, so ignore the western hognose snake species account!

joe

Here is a link that might be useful: Racer and hognose snake pics and info

o

If it was bright blue and only 5-6" long then the snake you were seeing is very likely not a blue racer - racers (Coluber constrictor) undergo an ontogenic color change with maturity and hatchlings/juveniles (even with the blue racer) have a very distinct pattern as can be seen here:

http://herp-pix.org/coluber1/juvblue3.JPG

If you saw a snake with a solid blue coloration at that size, I think it is possible you could have seen a smooth green snake (Liochlorophis vernalis), which can often have a blueish coloration.

http://fwie.fw.vt.edu/VHS/sp_Smooth Green Snake (Liochlorophis vernalis)004.jpg
Hope that helps,
~Mike

o

puff adders are poisonus.

does he look anything like this?
http://www.oplin.org/snake/fact pages/racer_blue/racer_blue.html

it could also belong to the corn snake family. Because you are unsure of this particular little one dont try picking him up. never take chances unless you are everienced

o

Puff Adders in the United States are not poisonous. The purr adders in Africa and the Arabian Peninsula are. Glenda

o
RE: Beautiful Blue baby snake ??

There go my fingers again going faster than my brain not "purr' adders but puff adders. Glenda

o

"puff adder" is a generic name given to Hognose snakes of the genus Heterodon. There are no true adders in North America.

"Not sure of the name really but it is the one that is kind of grey and pretends to be a cobra."

You are describing the dark phase Eastern Hognose Snake (Heterodon platirhinos). They do flatten their heads in a cobra-like fashion. Although not dangerous, they are rear-fanged and possess a venom specifically designed to kill toads, which is their favorite prey item.

Here is a link that might be useful: Black phase Hognose

o

wow, um we'll if you expect it to be a baby then y'a kno' theres a moma and a daddy some where lol....but, maybe he is eating your frogs for survival

o

Both snakes are harmless and while hognose snakes do eat toads (usually not frogs) neither will eat enough to mess with the balance of nature in your area.

Here is a link that might be useful: venue

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Reptiles & Amphibians Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here