SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
muses_epiphany

Strange Snake Behavior

Muses_Epiphany
9 years ago

I have a red-tail boa that is 5-6 years old. He's always been very healthy with a good appetite and regular sheddings and a normal rate of growth. However, his behavior changed after the last time I fed him and I'm concerned. I'm hoping maybe somebody here can help me identify the problem.

First of all, he normally sheds not too long after eating (around a week after), but it's been more than two weeks since he last ate and he has not shed, even though his skin is dry and looks like he needs to.

Second, he began hissing. Not at anything in his environment, but just randomly. Along with the hissing, he has been stretching his jaws a great deal.

And last, he is very lethargic. Even though it is warm here and regardless of whether he's under his heating lamp or not, he appears to have almost no energy. He also usually indicates that he is hungry about every two weeks (sometimes less). It's been almost three weeks and he's still not asking for food.

I have recently thoroughly cleaned his home to make certain there were no reptile mites and I did not find any.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Comments (3)

Sponsored