SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
davidwczerr

Do snakes yawn? (w/ pics)

davidwczerr
18 years ago

Hello all, I usually don't frequent this site, but a snake encounter earlier today had led me here. My wife and I found a black rat snake (I'm pretty sure) on the sun porch and had to move him out away from the house. He remained amazingly calm during the move and after we placed him on the ground we stayed around to watch him for a few minutes, camera in hand. I noticed that he seemed to yawn once every minute or so - I captured a couple of these moments with the camera (see below). I say it was a yawn because of how he acted when he did it. He would have his head raised up a little bit, toungue flicking, and then he would slowly open his mouth wide, hold it there for just a second and close it. All this while acting fairly calm. BTW, the photos were taken from a range of about 5-6 feet away, the camera has an amazing zoom and takes great photos; I am not a great photographer ;-)

So we were just curious if snakes yawn, and if not then any ideas what this guy (or gal) was doing? Was it supposed to be a scare tactic? Thanks for the help! David

Comments (12)

Sponsored