Sun, Apr 13, 14 at 14:08

is it a cottonmouth?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: water moccasin in Louisiana

sorry about the photo quality

o

That is a Cottonmouth. They are venomous, but not really dangerous or aggressive in any way. All the stories about their aggressive nature are urban legends and old wive's tails.
They are actually slow and sluggish and probably the least likely to bite of all of our venomous snakes.

o

Thanks FHFchrish,
it really was sluggish, wrapped up like a Ball Python, and never showed me it's mouth at all.

We walked past, about a foot away, it never even moved until I hollered at my buddy. I understand they get stepped on a lot.

David

o

Most of the Cottonmouths I've encountered do the "Ball Python" thing, too. I did a photo shoot a few years ago with a huge female Cotton that was freshly-caught by a friend of mine. She'd do the mouth-gape thing, but I wanted to try to get a video of a strike. She refused to cooperate, and just tucked her head underneath her body and coiled into a compact ball when the mouth-gape failed to scare us away.

o

Most snake bites happen from people walking along with their brains disengaged and not paying attention and stepping on the snake (I would bite too!), or getting too close and scaring it (snakes do not bite due to "being mad"), or "messing with it", when leaving it alone would be the best bet. Thanks for leaving it alone!

Alex

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Reptiles & Amphibians Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here