Return to the Reptiles & Amphibians Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Which toad is doing what to whom?

Posted by MarcPerr (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 27, 14 at 20:23

I know female toads will puff up to discourage sex, but I thought only male toads puffed up their vocal sacs, or even had vocal sacs. Could someone tell me what's going on here? Is the puffed-up toad on the bottom the female? Or are they roll playing? Do I need to call Westboro Baptist Church to picket the toad pond? Any toad experts?

This post was edited by MarcPerr on Thu, Feb 27, 14 at 21:02

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Which toad is doing what to whom?

That is a male toad trying to amplex and attempt to mate with another calling male. Male toads get very overzealous and will attempt to mate with anything moving near their breeding pond. I have had them attempt to mate with my foot, my hand, other toads of other species, etc. It if moves, they try to mate with it. In fact, male amphibians have a special release call which basically says "let go, I'm a male you idiot!".

I took this photo one night in Mexico. I couldn't figure out what was going on until I looked carefully at the photo. The problem is a male Southern Gulf Coast Toad has amplexed with a young male of a different and much larger species (Cane Toad). You can tell that the Cane Toad objects!

This post was edited by FHFchrish on Thu, Feb 27, 14 at 23:14

o

That's a good catch. The toad on the bottom of your picture seems to be playing dead.

How about these toads? These two look like they might be male and female. What do you think? Mainly, I want to know if female toads or frogs puff up their voice sacs like males do, or if they even have such sacs.

This post was edited by MarcPerr on Fri, Feb 28, 14 at 8:08

o

Only males have the throat sacs and call. Another characteristic that helps during the breeding season is the males have darker pigment (blackish) on their throat sacs as you can see in your photo.

In my photo the bigger toad was actively trying to force the smaller male off his back.

This post was edited by FHFchrish on Fri, Feb 28, 14 at 19:38

o

Also, in most toads of the US, the males will be smaller; females can be double the male's size in some species. Females do not have vocal sacs, and males have a dark chin due to the vocal sac being there. In breeding season, the male will have "black fingers", sticky stuff on his hands which help him grip wet amphibian skin. Ordinary white or gray fingers means a girl toad.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Reptiles & Amphibians Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here