Return to the Reptiles & Amphibians Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Question About Skinks (Mike or Wayne? Anyone?)

Posted by manature (My Page) on
Thu, Jan 29, 09 at 20:46

I have heard several times from various folks that skinks are poisonous to dogs or cats (if eaten). I can find nothing "out there" to corroborate this. Is there something in their skin that is toxic? I read that they are commonly preyed upon by foxes, raccoons, possums, dogs and cats, so I'm having trouble believing they are toxic. Can anyone clarify this?

Thanks!! (Trying to save skinks in Florida yards, here.)

Marcia

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Question About Skinks (Mike or Wayne? Anyone?)

Marcia,

There is a popular urban legend that skinks are toxic for cats to eat. This is usually associated with the bright blue tail in juvenile skinks.

Here is a link that addresses the issue:

http://www.discoverlife.org/mp/20osearch=Eumeces+inexpectatus&guide=Lizards

"Five-lined skinks have blue tails as juveniles and many people believe they are poisonous, some even calling them scorpions. Of course they are not poisonous and there is no evidence that cats are poisoned by eating them."

FWIW, we had a five-lined skink get into our house once and my indoor cat pounced on it and ate it before I could save the lizard. I was dismayed for the lizard. My cat was, of course, fine.

o
RE: Question About Skinks (Mike or Wayne? Anyone?)

Just as I suspected, Wayne! Thanks. I have since found that SOME vets even think they are toxic but others don't agree, so I guess there is a reason folks are confused. But frankly, I don't see how eating a skink can cause nerve damage in a cat or dog if it doesn't in foxes, raccoons, etc. I have a lot of them in my yard (and LOVE them...they are my favorite lizards!) so I'm glad you agree that they aren't a problem. And I will check out the link.

Thanks for the info! Sorry it took me so long to get back over here to check for your response. A lot going on down here.

Marcia

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Reptiles & Amphibians Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here