Return to the Raptors Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can You Scare a Hawk Away?

Posted by LindaSkyview (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 15, 05 at 16:33

A friend of mine who lives surrounded by vast pastures and wooded areas is concerned about her small dogs. She has six Papillons, which weigh between 4 and 7 lbs. each. Recently she has seen a large hawk, possibly a juvenile redtail, frequently perch on her chainlink fence. That in itself doesn't bother her, as it is pretty far from the Papillon yard. But this morning the hawk swooped right over her dog yard. Luckily, none of the Paps were outside at the time.

She asked me if a cutout or statue of a large owl mounted on the fence near the dog yard might scare the hawk away from that area. Since I have no experience with raptors, but am on several GardenWeb/Nature.net forums, I thought I'd ask for any suggestions from you folks who are much more familiar with hawk behavior. (I have an idea there's not much one can really do, but would like to know. Recently I've considered having a few chickens - which I'd love to have free-range during the day - but my property is also very open and has a lot of hawk activity.)

Thanks. (I see a lot of familiar names here from bluebirds and hummingbirds!)

LindaSkyview
Mountains of Western NC

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can You Scare a Hawk Away?

The hawk is not going to touch or even think of touching your friends papillons. Even the small 4lb dogs weigh twice as much as a 2.5 lb red tail. Tell your friend to enjoy the presence of this spectacular bird. Red tails prefer to eat small rodents. A small dog is a bit of a tall order for a red tailed hawk. And no an owl mount wouldnt scare away the hawk.

Nathan

o

Nathan ~ Thanks for the information. I hope a few more people will contribute, too.

I should have stated in the first post that my friend is not sure about the identity of the hawk, just that it is larger than any she has seen before.

And she does enjoy all wildlife, including the hawks. Just doesn't want to expose her little guys to something unknown by not being informed.

So....any thoughts about chickens?

LindaSkyview

o

Unprotected free-ranging chickens would be subject to numerous predators, including hawks, foxes, coyotes, raccoons, opossums and owls.

Red-tails are the largest hawk of the east. They don't hunt 4 pound dogs or 4 pound anything.

o

We have 3 small dogs(2 of them weigh 3lbs the big dog is 8lbs) and live on an acreage. I wouldnt think of leaving my dogs outside, unattended. Coyotes are a problem throughout the US, and Great Horned Owls routinely prey on dogs and cats much larger than ours.

If the paps were mine, I would watch them..like a hawk.

http://www.margorita.com

o

I would be much more concerned about a 4 legged predator making a meal out of the dogs rather than a hawk.

Richard

o

Great Horned Owls do not routinely prey on dogs or cats larger than 8lbs.
Nathan

o

Sterna,
Contraire, contraire.I give you an excerpt from owlpages.com: "Mammalian prey includes all coexisting rodents, squirrels, mink, skunks, raccoons, armadillos, porcupines, domestic cats and dogs, shrews, moles, muskrats, and bats."

I know of 2 instances that made the news. One was in Iowa and involve a Great Horned Owl attack on a dachshund. The dogs owner shot the owl and was ticketed by Fish & Wildlife. (The charges were dropped when the DA refuse to bring charges.) The other was a poodle in Nebraska, and I dont remember the outcome of that one.

Great Horned Owls are fearless predators and, as stated in owlpages.com, "may take prey 2 to 3 times heavier than itself". I love the owls, but they are ferocious, efficient killing machines and are generally more successful hunters than most hawks.

I agree that the four-legged critters are more of a hazard, but small dogs and cats are at risk from aerial attack.

o

Yes I agree that GHOs will OCCASIONALLY take prey as large as 8 lbs, but I would suggest that this is the exception, rather than the rule.

Nathan

o

Just as rare is a GHO taking a bat.

Basically, that means that once someone saw it happen.

It does not happen with regularity. If horned owls did take pets, there would be no dogs or cats : )

o

One day I saw a hawk, I don't know what kind, pick a squirrel off the ground in our back yard. I have no idea how much squirrels weigh. This one wriggled and fought so that the hawk dropped it when it got about 10 feet up. That was a lucky squirrel.

o

the same thing happend to me when my pekingese was a puppy. at the time he was about 5 lbs and a pair of goshawks i thought were scoping out my pup. i panicked for a few weeks until i gathered up all the info and was happy to read that they cant carry off prey that heavy. so tell yer friend her dogs are safe. but still at that small size i wouldnt leave them out unattended for long, kinda easy pickins ya know?
squirrels dont weigh much, a pound if even?

o

I would think a small dog is still a dog and would growl and bite like crazy if attacked.

I think a bird would be pretty startled, and drop it. After all, rabbits do not growl and snap like a dog does. (Although some injury may result, I suppose...)

I used to worry about my pomeranian too, until I saw him chase some coyotes away! That was a moment....

:o) Nif

o

there was one incident a few years ago in central park nyc. i cant remember much of it but i think it was a hawk show and one of the hawks took someones Chihuahua. the hawk flew with it but dropped it. the dog was ok, maybe a broken bone or something but it lived. i wish i could remember the kind of hawk....i should google this to get the info lol

o

It would have to be an eagle to be able to carry a 5 pound chihuahua off the ground, even a red tailed hawk weighs only a few pounds.

Nathan

o

No hawk "took" a chuihuaua; in Central Park, NY, a falconer's Harris's hawk went for the dog and scared the dog and owner. The dog was not injured, but the show ended there.

Many people observed the rat-like appearance of the dog.

o

im sorry the hawk attacked it not just scared it. heres the artical

Here is a link that might be useful: harris hawk

o

Yes the hawk attacked it, but certainly did not fly with it. It attacked it on the ground.

o

I'm not afraid for my pets, I just want the HAWK to go live SOMEWHERE ELSE. Don't chastise me, please. I don't want the thing dead. I'm just sick of its constant squawking and I'm sick of the way it makes all the other birds in the yard NUTS. It is constant racket, sunup to sundown. I want everyone to live in peace in my yard. (Yes, as I told my husband, I DO know about the food chain ...)
Please tell me how to scare it away. Thanks.

o

That last post sounds like an echo of another, and Richard in Maryland had the answer: it will go away in time - it's likely a juvenile begging to be fed which means you must have the nest tree somewhere on the property. Baby hawks *have* to scream to be heard (in their minds, I suppose *LOL* much like little kids amongst adults - feeling left out, eh? hehe). In time they will go away and move on to other feeding grounds, especially once you take your own feeders (if any) down. :)

o

We just brought our yorkshire terrier puppy home about a week ago and he weighs about 6 pounds. The day we brought him home we saw a hawk take away a very large rabbit and then bring it back and it ate it in our yard. We live in neighborhood with many houses and small yards. Our backyard is fenced in but we are too scared to let our dog out because we are afraid that the hawk may swoop down and carry him away jus like the rabbit. Is there anything that we can do to keep the hawk away from our yard? Should we even be afraid of the hawk taking our puppy?

o

OK, I admit that I am really naive about birds and so I read this page with interest. I live in Westchester County, New York, and I have often feared for my dog -- a 23 lb.sheltie! When I see these enourmous birds hunting around my house, I hustle her inside in a hurry. I can't say if they are red tail hawks, owls, or eagles...but they circle, swoop, and even perch on my roof and look to be hunting for their next meal. Hopefully not my sheltie!

I do agree with a previous poster, though, that the risk from four legged predators is greater -- we have coyotes around here, too.

o

I also need to know what scares Hawks away.
They are threatening my rare pigeons and they are taking the catfish out of my pond. How can I keep them away?
I live in Southeast Texas.
Marie Castecka

o

I would open a new post, you might get better results! Just trying to help, good luck :) Christy

o

The hawks that hunt catfish cannot catch pigeons.

o
Ospreys don't eat pigeons

I'm sorry: I meant the hawks that hunt fish don't hunt pigeons.

Anything that would scare them would also scare the pigeons. (Hang aluminum pie plates by strings, regular balloons, etc.)

o

I've read some of the above posts with tears rolling down my face, I'm sorry to say, because I know they are very serious to those who are frightened by Hawks.

I suggested in another thread that a poster get one of those New Year's Eve noismakers and use it to scare the Hawks away--a loud horn, or one of those things you hold with one hand and crank with the other. If you see the Hawk in a tree, just run at it, using your noisemaker to aid you in scaring it away. It should get the message to perch somewhere else where it's not subject to such abuse, and leave you and your small animals alone.

I agree with most posters that small animals are rarely in danger from ANY Hawks in the U.S., most of the time; but I will also say one thing about the boldness of Hawks at this time of year: many Hawks are hungry, and some are starving during the Winter months, when prey animals are scarce or nonexistent. I've seen Hawks sit on a light pole by the side of the road for hours on end, hoping to spot one small prey animal below. I've also seen them fly off to their roosts at dusk, NEVER having found a prey animal to eat.

We've had nights in the 'teens around my area lately--so another cold night on the roost with no sustinence to help the Hawk create body heat to protect itself from the elements. In times such as these, a Hawk WILL try and catch things outside the size and weight range of its normal prey--and YOU would too, if you were starving to death.

I feel sorry for birds of prey, in weather like this; particularly, because it was very mild in my area of the mid-Atlantic up until a few weeks ago, and many birds of prey stayed around and did not migrate to warmer climates, because it was so warm here, and prey animals were abundant. Now, they are hungry, and many are suffering--maybe suffering enough to try and catch a small pet from right in front of its owner. They do what they must, to survive--to keep from starving to death or freezing to death, from lack of sustinence (and YOU would to if you were starving).

So owners of small dogs or catfish or chickens or pigeons or kittens or puppies, or WHATEVER, must use common sense to protect them from attack by a starving bird of prey.

I don't know how big the fish pond is, but consider covering it with chicken wire. Ditto, making a small enclosure in your yard with chicken wire, where you can let your small dogs, cats, puppies, etc., get exercise without fear from airborne predators. Put your thinking caps on, and come up with ways to avoid confrontations with starving wildlife (who were here WAY before little Foo-Foo).

I could throw together (or have someone build) a small (covered) enclosure in a few days, if I feared for my small animal, and anyone else should be able to do the same (or have it done).

This is an El Nino year--it remained mild all through the month of December and early January around here, and lulled wildlife into a false sense of security, as they were catching mice and other rodents until a few weeks ago. Now, it's getting very cold, and the ground is frozen, and small prey animals are not moving about, and birds of prey are starving.

Owners of small birds and animals: This is reality for you to deal with, just as the starving birds of prey must deal with THEIR perdicament.

You must find an intelligent way to protect your small bird or animal--all the prey animals in the neighborhood can't be eradicated or displaced to protect little Tinkerbelle. (Maybe you should have considered this before you bought a 2-pound dog.)

o
RE: Can You Scare A Hawk Away...?

P.S. LindaSkyview: Don't know how large her dog pen is, but I would also cover it with chicken-wire. It's easy enough to do, by neatly placing some steel posts in the interior of the pen, and placing 6' tall chicken wire from side to side, and over the interior posts. Of course the posts should be tall enough for her (and others) to walk under.

Large Great Horned Owl statues placed at each end MAY work--and maybe even a plywood cutout of a person (or two) placed about. But stationary diversions of any kind don't seem to last too long (witness a scarecrow, with crows perched on it); seems birds are bright enough to figure them out, when they remain motionless, and I doubt she'd want to trust the safety of her dogs to such diversions.

I'm doubtful, among other posters here, that a Hawk could do much with a dog that size, but one might get hungry (starving) enough to try, in the absence of other prey animals; and either the Hawk or the dog could end up being injured.

It would be a covered pen, for me. My father and uncles raised gamebirds in Virginia (Pheasants, Quail, etc.), and they HAD to cover the large pen with chicken wire.

Hope no animal lovers were offended by my previous post, but this IS a bird watching forum (raptors, though they may be), and most folks here wish to observe raptors, not scare them away.

Those whith very small pets must think creatively if they're to allow them outdoors, unsupervised, at this time of year when ALL predators are hungry. Aviaries are routinely covered with small-diameter wire to keep birds in, and to keep ground-dwelling and airborne predators out; such wire would also keep predators out of a dog or chicken pen.

o

While a hawk might not be able to fly away with a small dog, that doesn't mean he might not try. While farming, I have many times observed redtail hawks take full grown rabbits, sometimes not able to fly away, they will drag it to the edge of the field and proceed to have a rabbit meal. Even an attempt to snatch a small dog might result in serious injuries to the dog.
One of the more enjoyable things about farming is to observe a number of hawks, circling over my tractor waiting for me to flush out mice, rats, and rabbits. Sometimes it is a start to have one unexpectedly dive past me to get a mouse.

o

Raptors that can catch and eat a rabbit can do the same to a dog. They often take large chickens and eat them on the spot. How to scare them away? I would use firecrackers if legal where you live. I would consult the local Game Warden for advice. Farmers with free ranging chickens have always had this problem, large hawks were called "chicken hawks" where I came from.
Joe T

o

We live in a busy suburb of NJ. Twice we had a hawk fly through our screened-in porch to try to get to our cats. The first hawk was the size of a large chicken with a wing span of about 4 feet. It was scared once it got in the porch and tried to fly at the screen. We had to use a broom to guide it out the door. The 2nd time the hawk was smaller. It still worries us that they are this aggressive. We now have a small 8 Lb. ShihTzu and worry about her in our large, open yard. Even if the hawk couldn't carry her away, it could probably lift her high enough that if dropped she would incur severe injury. Was wondering if a waving flag placed in the yard would keep a hawk away. Anyone know!!

o

according to NUMEROUS articles i've read, Hawks can kill or severly wound small dogs. There's a few hawks that eye my chihuahua like a taco bell special. Ever since, I've sat out on my porch with an air rifle. I don't care if hawks are protected. I'd rather get in trouble with the cops than loose my dog, whom i live like a child. Dogs have been loyal to us for millions of years. It's about time we returned the favor by protecting them from these dangerous predators.

o

Hopefully you will fall on your gun.

o

We're headed to remote NW Ontario next with with our 7.5lb pom/yorkie. Will a reflective vest on the dog deter eagles/birds of prey?

o

Please reread this thread.

o

http://www.smm.org/warnernaturecenter/programs/faq_red_tailed_hawk.php

What do red-tailed hawks eat?
They can carry things that are up to about half their body weight. Our red-tailed hawk weights about 2 lbs. A can of pop weighs about one pound, so this bird weighs about as much as two cans of pop. A young rabbit weighs 2 4 pounds, which means it's too big for this hawk. A big squirrel could weigh 2 pounds. Red-tailed hawks eat lots of mice. Red-tailed hawks eat about three white-footed mice a day. We feed gophers to our hawk. Because of the damage they do to farmer's crops there is bounty paid for gophers in Washington County. We receive the gophers after they have been trapped.

You may have heard of chicken hawks. The term chicken hawk is a common name for both the red-tailed hawk and the Cooper's hawk. They used to be called chicken hawks, because farmers believed they stole chickens, but based on their size all but the smallest chicks are probably too big for red-tailed hawks.

o

I am the owner of a 5lb chihuahua. I have heard these stories of large birds and the possibility of picking up smaller animals. Well, I received this e-mail not too long ago and it blew me away! I am a nervous wreck every time my sweet little dog goes outside. I won't let her go without supervision. This I'm sure is an exceptionally large bird- The point is made though. CHECK THIS OUT!!!...... Deerhuntingwithabird.wmv

o

I woke at 4AM to see a red tailed hawk killing one of my larger chickens. The chicken died and now my pen is hawk proof. He had been getting them free range during the day so I decided to pen them up. need to put chicken wire around and over the pen to keep the hawk out.

I have a friend who actually witnessed an owl pick up her poodle and then a yorkie and take off with them. The yorkie was never found. the poodle was dropped and broke it's back.

o

I've seen a red-tailed hawk pick up and carry off a very large snake. We were in a pickup truck, driving down to the water to fish, and the hawk took off from next to the dirt road and carried the snake right over our windshield. It was a sight! Those are some powerful birds. I've heard they can carry more than an eagle can. Is that not true?

o

Just curious Elly nj, why would you rather a human fall on his gun or a small defenseless domestic pet and companion be killed than for that pet to be protected by the human being? That seems odd. Are you prioritizng a wild bird of prey over a beloved pet? Or even over a human being. That is exceedingly odd. One can only hope that you were joking or eventually lose any and all internet connection so as to no longer post such obviously disturbed sentiments.

o

If you read the entire post you will see that a hawk cannot pick up and carry a small defenseless pet. There is l;ots of room between allowing a hawk to fly in your back yard and killing it, besides the legal and moral ramifications.

The same people dumb enough and eager to shoot a hawk are dumb enough and eager to shoot, oh, other people and other defenseless harmless animals. That's why laws are in place. To protect us from them.

For a stupid human to fall on his gun takes his dumb genes out of the pool so he can't breed and make more of his own kind.

Hope that answers your question : )

o

I have lost 2 Yorkies in the past 3 months. My 10 pound male Yorkie disappeared from our fenced in front yard just this morning. I let the dogs out to pee at about 6 AM, and the Yorkie never returned. the other Yorkie disappeared at sunset. I saw a red tailed hawk sitting on the telephone lines outside of our driveway yesterday. I have also seen a Great Horned Owl on our street. There is absolutely no trace of our dogs, so one of these birds was able to carry them over a six foot fence and take them away.

o

A three pound bird cannot carry a ten pound object. So it did not happen.

Did you read any of the threads??? It would be like you carrying off something 500 pounds. Or flying off with it.

Sheesh, I know a lot of dog owners. Maybe just people who own little dogs are like this. : )

o

My 10lb dog was killed by Harris hawks. they dropped her. This happened at9:00 in the morning in a 5ft block wall enclosed area. They were out for about two minutes as I did not want them to run out the front door fo fear of coyotes or cars. The vet found 4 talon marks and she died of a head injury either from being dropped or the talon piercing her brain. She was dead when I found her so she died instantly. As I said this was about two minutes or less. My 14lb dog also had talon marks by her neck but she is ok. Also a little hole by her eye. This was more than ascratch. The vet thinks they attempted to pick her uptoo. Ther is nothing you can do to get rid of hawks or owls they are protected and cannot even be harrassed. I am building a covered run for my other dogs and take them out on a short leash. Ther was also an owl that attempted to take a yorkie in my neighboorhood, the yorkie lived but the man was violently attacked, the dog was on a leash. I live in a suburb of Phoenix not out in the country. from my research I have found that hawks raised in captivity and released are more likely to do this. I also found out three were released into the mountains a week before my dogs death. These birds can find more food in the city. They are not starving by any means. There are tons of bunnies and other things for themto catch. I also read thy will attempt to get anthing no matter the size so even larger pets could be hurt badly. PLEASE WATCH YOUR PETS OR BUILD A COVERED ENCLOSURE> It is also proven dogs and cats that live mainly inside live longer. of course you need to exercise your pets but keep them close on a short leash. Even dogs on leashes have been attacked so be very aware of the skies above. PLEASE BE CAUTIOUS.

o

Just read your post, elly nj, about Great Horned Owls not being able to carry anything heavy. That owl could have carried away her small dog and I'd guess he did. I saw a GHO fly into my yard and carry away a muscovy duck (large ducks)! She had eggs, too, and I was very heart broken. I love all birds but had no idea a shy creature like a GH would venture so close to activity. I just made sure the ducks were better protected later. Read this government link:

http://www.env.gov.nl.ca/snp/Animals/great_horned_owl.htm

It should change your mind about their strength.

o

Owl decoys attract hawks. They are raptors after the same food chain. Try this: Place a litter of kittens. JUST KIDDING

o

You may be able to discourage the hawk by foiling the roost. Run a wire with some dangling things to discourage the hawk from setting on the fence. The wire would need to be suspended above the top fence rail but floppy enough to make it unstable. A hardware store should have what you would need to do this. We use this sort of set up to keep large birds from rooting on boats (for obvious reasons). But, if there are trees nearby, the hawk will just change position. You could also go out with the dogs at first to scare it off.

o

GHOs and eagles definitely can pose a threat to small dogs and cats. Golden Eagles are more aggressive in that way than most Bald Eagles would be. There have also been some reported incidents of large hawks attacking and/or killing cats or small dogs, though it's dubious that they could fly more than about 50' up with one in their grasp. Dogs and cats aren't their normal diet, but as pointed out above desperate times can call for desperate measures.

I live in the PNW and it's understood among parot owners that RTH and BEs will snatch a parrot right off an owner's shoulder. So much for being afraid of humans. One friend of mine had a BE dive bomb so near her she could have touched it as it flew up right in front of her face (no prey was visible). Scared her. They have also been known to try to get parrots out of an outdoor cage; outdoor aviarys should be covered. I have personally seen a pair of BEs circling me very high up when I had a parrot on my shoulder. We quickly went back into the house. So bird owners have more reason to be afraid than dog and cat owners, as birds are on the list of normal prey for raptors.

If you are worried about your small dogs or cats, don't let them out alone unless it's to a covered pen.

As far as chasing raptors away, you can certainly try the methods mentioned above, but if they've been getting food in your area/yard they're not likely to chase away easily. Note that most raptors would be apt to go where GHOs go, as they share a diet in common, but most of them hate crows, so a crow decoy is likely more effective than an owl decoy.

As also touched on slightly above, if you're leaving food out that attracts their normal prey (birds, rats, mice, etc.), including your compost heap, left out dog or cat food, or bird feeders, stop that practice and that may help.

o

I was attacked inside of my pigeon loft by a cooper hawk!
I had just opened the door from the inside and poured out some water. I have a hallway down the length of my loft. As I started to turn around the hawk hit me in the side of my head. One talon dug in just behind my left eye.
Blood was dripping down the side of my face. I was very lucky that I did not loose my eye.
The hawk population is growing so fast they become very aggresive. They are hungry and most of the wild pigeons are gone! They ate them! Now they hang out at the bird feeders to eat the birds there. Hawks are protected and
you cannot harm them. I don't have the answer but I hope
your dog or child is not on the receiving end of a talon
like I was.

o

I had a Redtail checking out my 5 Chihuahuas last week. I bought black netting and covered their area. The hawk got caught up in the net yesterday and his corpse is now on the roof for his brothers to see. I feel no remorse for the dead bird and won't when more get caught.
I live in a very populated area and it's been so for over 50 years.

o

I have a 17lb Boston Terrier. I am more afraid of the boston terrier terrorizing the wildlife than her getting hurt. They are truly afraid of her! We have feral cats around here and they don't mess with her.

I just can't see why people can't watch their pets when they take them out. It's the responsible thing to do in the unlikely event of a raptor hanging around. They don't really want to make a meal out of your little ones - the idea looks good to them but they usually rethink the idea given their inability to carry off prey bigger than they are...I just don't see how some little dogs don't stir up enough racket to have the raptor running for it's life! (Or flying as nature would have it) Or maybe everyone should rethink their choice in breeds...I dunno my Boston doesn't fear a thing - they are afraid of her, even the Fedex guy and she's a very lovely little dog...
Protect the wildlife from your pets...how many birds do dogs kill each year?? How many rabbits did my pit bull get before she passed on, I'd venture to say, DOZENS...Save the raptors! Common sense, people! Man is the biggest danger of all and their lack of brains! (Well, most anyhow!)

o

In Billerica Ma. My granddaughters rabbit was attacked and killed in its cage by a hawk. 3 months later a neighbor of theirs was walking his 6 pound dog on a leash when a hawk came down and ripped its guts out and sliced its throat.One almost got my cat but he rolled to the side and he didn't get a full hold on him but the talon marks on his side left quite a wound. He was one of the lucky ones.
They may not be able to take them away but they sure can kill them. Maybe it was because its nest was near by. I have a air horn if they get to close. The reason they drop their prey is to kill them then they go back to get them if they are not lucky enough to get up and run.

o

There are many hawks and owls in the area i live in, recently all of our neighbors with small dogs and cats have been very cautious. One poor little Chihuahua got taken by a hawk and full grown cat got eaten by an owl. So definitely be careful with your pups. Maybe Fake owl can help!

o

You want to get rid of the hawk. Then you have to get rid of what he's there for. All those sweet tasting little birds he's making so upset. Myself I'd take the hawk being around over the Tweetie birds.But they are why he's there

o

We have two pugs,a chihuahua and three large mixed breed dogs. They always go out together.Will the big dogs being around scare the hawk away? Have only seen it twice but am worried for little guys.Going out with them is physically hard for me but will if need be.They only go out to do "business"..they aren't left out for long periods of time.

o

Some of these responses are a little ridiculous. The folks who have seen their dogs attacked or carried away aren't imagining it. The suggestion to always watch your dog is a little impractical when you have a doggy door, or pets that need to spend time outside. We have a large fenced yard and feed a lot of songbirds. Unfortunately, our feeding station has become a songbird buffet for hawks. We notice when there are crows around, the hawks seem to stay away. Has anyone used crow decoys (plastic crows) to discourage hawks? Thanks. - Dave

o

The loud noise, whistle, pop a balloon etc would be the kindest way. @ rammstein1 Hawks were here way before you or your genetically modified pet, with the mentality you seem to boast about, it is no wonder animals become extinct, 'if it is in my way, blast it'. C'mon, a little effort and the hawks would hunt else where, make some noise, fire your gun in the air if you have to have a cowboy attitude.
For those asking if a hawk can take a dog / cat etc. Sure, for those that dispute it, you have probably not seen a hawk hunt. Hawks have learnt to grab by the head and butt. This mobilizes the prey ensuring the hawks safety. However, if you make life as difficult for the hawk as you safely can, it will hunt else where, no bird of prey will waist energy, choosing the easiest prey.
Sadly, there is millions of years history between owls and hawks, each attacking the other on sight, so an owl of any sort is unlikely to scare the hawks away. Whilst crows mob hawks, hawks often see solitary crows as prey, a crow is unlikely to solve your problem. Good netting, loud noise and being in the same place as your pet will maximise your pets survival against hawks.

o

My father used an owl call combined with a crow call - just because he happened to have them both. He got nothing from the owl call except a mob of crows hunted an owl down in the woods and harassed it. My father had no idea an owl was even in the area.

So, let nature do the work for you, get a crow distress call and a hawk call and the crows will chase the birds away.

So, how much does a cotten tail rabbit weigh? Hawks and owls eat them, they are about the same size as a chihuahua, yorki, or other toy breed dog. If you have a small pet you have the responsability to attend it's outdoor activities to protect it from ANY wildlife or even other domestic animals, regardless of how inconvinient it is. That is the price you pay for the privilage of sharing your life with a small pet.

o

http://www.akc.org/press_center/akc_syndicate/ask_AKC/0907.cfm

Here is just another website that proves large birds do hunt small pets. I've seen it first hand ten feet away in my yard on a routine "potty break", videos, stories, and even the disturbing sight of animal trying to survive after an attack working in vet clinics. Although the bird itself may not ALWAYS kill the dog/pet, the quality of life for the pet after an attack is often not in the dogs favor. Just becuase certain ppl in this post say bc "this weighs this and that weighs that it's impossible" are full of crap. Just because YOU haven't seen it doesn't mean it can't happen. It's pretty easy to see who the caring pet owners are in this post and while I seriously hope none of you have to expirence this, my heart goes out to those who have. Do what you can to protect your animals. If the surrounding area has safety issues try taking your pets to a park or somewhere you feel more comfortable to exercise your pets. It may not be as often as you would like but peace of mind is worth a lot and when no one wants to see their pets go through such an awful, painful, and brutal expirence. It's a reminder of just how REAL nature is. So, to the original post, I'm not sure what can be done to keep the birds away but she should be very careful. I believe the bird will continue to stick around as long as he can find food there so... not much can be done. And for those like elly j, telling people to fall on their guns is about the most ridicuously immature thing I've read in a quite a while. I really wish people would realize when someone makes a post looking for advice and others input on this topic, those types of remarks are in no way helpful. It creates "drama" and completely takes away from those seeking HELPFUL information on the question at hand. So please, if you have nothing nice or "relavant" to these questions, please do the rest of us a favor and do not comment on issues that do not pertain to you because this DOES happen, despite technical blah blah. And for those concerned pet owners, you know that just happening once is enough reason to take extra precautions to protect our little friends even though some don't realize it's more common than you think.

o

I have (had) nine free range chickens. Three have been killed this past week due to a Hawk. I wouldn't have believed it unless I saw with my own eyes. I know it is illegal to kill these birds, but I fired a shot at the ground to scare it away. It has since killed another one. I am now keeping my chickens locked up in their coop, and they have stopped producing eggs. Any suggestions? I can't put chicken wire over the fence because they have a 1/4 acre to roam. Too large of an area.

o

kmjonas-
You have just discovered why chicken yards and coop-s were used. Consider a "chicken tractor", which lets them get some free-range benefits with protection.

A hawk will continue to hunt an area as long as there is easy prey. I've seen one spend several days systematically rummaging through big palm trees for pigeon nests. She/he went down the street, tree by tree, carrying squabs away to feet the hawk chicks.

o

Just a few weeks ago a red tail hawl in my area (CT) swooped down and grabbed a chihuahua playing in his yard with other chichuahuas. The owner ran out screaming and the bird dropped the dog. The poor thing had talon marks on his back but lived. Last week I had two flying over my 8lb dog. There is always one in the tree above my dog's area.

o

I live in a semi-rural area of Orange County, CA. I have had several chihuahuas. Those that I got at 8 weeks I kept on the patio during the day and, at my vet's suggestion, we wrapped the patio around the posts with chicken wire until the dogs reached about 5#s. Then we gave them free run of the yard. We've had no problems for years. HOWEVER, recently my vet told me there are more occurrences of pets being snatched by raptors happening in our area and that I should only let the dogs in the yard when I'm out there. Today, around 3:30 PM, at the top of the hill that goes up some 250' behind our fence, I saw 3 big hawks sitting at the tops of three 70-ft.trees next to each other. I took the dogs inside and, over the next 45 mins., checked periodically. The birds were still there. Finally as it began to get dark, the birds flew over the house and headed north. I'm not sure what they were, but would judge their wingspan at 5'. We have lots of lizards, rabbits, frogs, etc., but these birds were definitely watching my dogs. Sooooo, tomorrow I'm going to make some cloth streamer hangings (3 or 4) and some shiny CD hangings and put outside. Our fence is wrought iron with 4" spacing between rods and it is 7-1/2' tall. I'm going to get some strong fish line and run it back and forth across the yard at 8" spacings (our yard is only 70' x 25' deep). Periodically I'll hang a CD on it. I do not think the raptors will fly down through this barrier. I will watch and, if I see the raptors come back, I will again wrap the patio posts with chicken wire and confine the dogs to the patio. They do love to be outside and lay in the sun. I rescued these little gals from the shelter, they are wonderful, and I do not some birds eating them. And, by the way, I did yell, clap my hands and wave a big towel at them today--didn't make an impact! Next time I see them, I will try banging some metal pie-tins together.

o

We feed the birds (cardinals, chickadees, sparrows, doves, pigeons, etc) in the winter. Last year, the red tailed hawk started feasting in our backyard, too. And the hawk will come back hours later the same day - even after they've gotten one bird already. I found some sites that said to use cd's. The reflection from the cd's are supposed to interfere with (or annoy) their sight. So last winter I strung some cd's the length of the yard and it seems to have helped - so far.

o

As God is my witness, 2 days ago a neighbor's 7 pound Chihuahua was killed by a Hawk (which type of Hawk, I don't know). It happened so quickly, that the Chi never had the chance to bark, nor yipe, nor bite. The Hawk wasn't able to fly away very far with the Chi, and dropped it. The Chi was riddled with puncture holes. We live in a highly populated suburban area, 20 minutes from the Detroit border (via highway). There are many large, barking dogs in our neighborhood (hunting dogs, Labs, Danes, etc.). This Hawk is still circling our yards. Have already strung up CDs/DVDs, and will pour urine around the perimeter of my yard. Plan on purchasing an aerosol horn (like sports fans use). If this doesn't work to scare the Hawk away, I have no problem with paying someone to shoot this Hawk (as a Hawk has the right to live, so do I have the right to protect my 3 and 4-1/2 lb. furbabies so that they can live). For anyone who doesn't believe that Hawks will attack and pick up an animal heavier than itself, drop it, then return to devour it, just go to YouTube and type in the keywords "Hawk Attack". Here's a link regarding a Hawk flying away with a Pomeranian, who was in the company of several large dogs. And here's a link to an article about a Hawk attacking a Springer Spaniel. What used to be a rare occurance, has now become an ongoing danger. And to the ignoramus who hopes a previous poster falls on their own gun... well, I hope you never lose a beloved pet to a Hawk attack.

o
RE: Can You Scare a Hawk Away? (missing links)

Here is the link to the Pomeranian being carried off by a Hawk ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3NkJN1ircQ&feature=fvw ), and here's the link to the Springer Spaniel being attacked by a Hawk ( http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qn4161/is_20000206/ai_n14503162/ )

o

For those that can...run wire criss-crossed over the fenced in area.

Zoos have the criss-crossed wires over their duck ponds.

I've had to quit feeding the wild birds because of the hawks.

I've also had large ducks killed by hawks & owls. One, was a Mother duck trying to make it to the pond with her newly hatched family. Needless to say, I raised those little ones until they were able to produce their own oil to make them waterproof.

o

usaamazon ...
That was not a wild hawk that attacked the Springer Spaniel.

As for the Pom, it's one lucky dog, probably because of the hair keeping the talons out of the body.

I saw a great horned owl carry off a toy dog (looked like chihuahua mix) whose owner was letting the unleashed dog run in a field. Swoop, flap, and dog was hanging limp from the talons as the owl flew off.

o

Don't tell my Mom that hawks don't eat chickens. She told me when she was a young girl they had trouble with chicken hawks eating their chickens. One time she was home alone and one was after the chickens. She got her dad's gun and shot the hawk. She was so afraid he would punish her for touching his gun, they were warned never to touch it. He was proud of her and her skill and bragged to everyone. They were just small farmers with 12 kids and those chickens were a very important food supply.

o

Some of you guys underestimate the strength of raptor birds, including the red tailed hawk. I am from Albania and all my life was in contact with birds. I breed canaries, pigeons,chickens,rabbits and other animals. Several times we had to experience episodes involving birds of prey which were a permanent threat to our birds and animals. Once we had a lamb that disappeared and only days later we found parts of the carcass about three kilometers away (about 2 miles). Not far from there was a nest of turkey vultures. We concluded that it was the vultures that had killed the lamb. The lamb weighted about 8-10 kilograms (about 20-24 pound). It was summer time and we knew that it was not a wolf because they never (almost) kill lambs in that time of the year. Now you do the math; the lamb was at least 3-4 times heavier than the vulture. In another episode a hawk took a pigeon almost from my hand; I was holding the pigeon when all of a sudden a hawk was plunging toward me and I released the pigeon because confused and scared. In matter of tenths or hundredths of a second the pigeon was under the hawks claws. Several other times we had pigeons or chickens killed by birds of prey. I am not proud to say it, but I had to kill several hawks over years. I was young and only saw it as a threat and I believed that it was my right to kill them in order to defend my birds. In another occasion we captured a hawk and kept it for several days in a cage. It refused to eat for 4-5 days, and after advice from my father I released it. Anyway, my advice is for all of you who have animals weighting under 10 pounds to not underestimate the strength of birds of prey. They can carry up to 4 times their body weight. Be careful guys

o

Another episode regarding hawks and pigeons that I would like to share with you;
As I mentioned in my previous story, over the years I had to deal with all kind of falcons and owls. Domestic birds and animals are usually an easy prey for raptors. Most of the time were episodes involving different kind of hawks/falcons and pigeons and chickens, but also owls trying to get my petrified canaries. One morning wile I was feeding the pigeons a hawk attacked a pigeon with the light speed just I front of my eyes. (Not the first time) I rushed toward the birds with a stick in my hand and tried to get the hawk. It released the injured pigeon and flew away. The bird was alive but I gave it little hope of surviving since its guts were hanging out of the belly. I couldnt do much for the pigeons at this point so I just let it in a corner of a cage to die there. Surprisingly the bird survived and fully recovered though the traces of the wound remained. Most surprisingly is what happened next. Just days after the same pigeon was attacked and this time the hawk did not miss it. I suppose it was the same hawk and again maybe not because all of them know when a bird is sick or showing signs of weakness and they go after it because it is an easy prey. This is great because they keep the pigeons population healthy by taking the sick and the weak usually .Ever since I started to look the raptors differently. Although it is so frustrating when you have a hawk or any bird of prey used to easy meals because they keep on coming until you either kill them of you have no birds left for them

o

On rare occassions; if the Wildlife Game & Fisheries come out to access your farm or property; they can give you a small window to shoot hawks IF it is proven that they are causing major harm.

o

I live on a farm in Ga. I have lost several chickens that were upwards of five pounds to hawks. I have also lost a few turkeys that weighed around 7 to 8 pds. to hawks. I saw the hawks eating them on the ground. They don't always fly off with them if there big, they eat them where they kill them. I would keep an eye on the small dogs and kittens.

o

My 1 1/2 year old Pom was taken out of her day pen on Friday by a hawk. She weighs 6lbs and she was dropped in the neighbors yard around 500 feet away. Needless to say she was in critical condition until Easter Sunday. She is undergoing surgery as we speak for a dislocated hip. To all who posted it could not happen You are wrong even though the pen had a door to the house for her to get in she did not hear the bird. The only way to protect them is to keep them on a short leash and cover any pen you have. I will update her condition as soon as I know more.

o

I have a 4 lb maltipoo and have a hawk living across the street in a field. Last week, the hawk was on my next door neighbor's front yard eating a squirrel. People were walking right by it on the sidewalk just a few feet away and it was completely unfazed. I am also finding dead mice and chipmunks around my property lately. My dog is never outside alone and always on a short leash. Yet i am terrified that the hawk will swoop down despite the fact that i am right there. My dog loves to go outside and to lie down on the grass. Do i need to keep him inside? I know these birds are protected but i would seriously kill it if i could if it was trying to take my dog. How horrible. It's simply not right.

o

"How horrible. It's simply not right."

It is a hawk. It is a predator on small animals. It's 100% natural.

Put the dog in a covered pen of some sort if you want to leave it outside running loose.

o

If you would like to attract an hawk put out a owl decoy. They are not friendly with each other. I know you don't but this is what will happen if you do. A friend of mine use to hunt crows. We used an owl decoy because they too hate each other. There were no trees big enough to climb to mount the owl decoy in so I placed to decoy on a long thin dead tree. In the process of trying to make the tree stand I was standing at the base moving it around trying to brace it. I looked up and a red tail hawk was attacking the owl decoy just a few feet above my head.As far as using an owl decoy to scare pigeons and other unwanted birds away good luck. I've watch then sit on top of it.

o
RE: Can You Scare a Hawk/Turkey Buzzard Away?

My stalkers are Turkey Buzzards that are always perched either on my house, pool cage, or the dog run fence. They stare into the dog run, which makes me very uneasy about the safety of my Yorkie and Pappillon. Do Turkey Buzzards eat meat, do they go after dogs and cats, and what can I do to either scare them away and/or protect my pets? Any education on this issue would be helpful. Here's thanking you in advance.

o

Turkey buzzards are extremely unlikely to attack a small animal.

They eat dead animals - road kill.

o

I am in Maltese rescue and am living in hell right now..Hawks have set up housekeeping in the wooded lot behind my home... They have hatched a brood and now the young are starting to hunt..They sit in the limbs of the live oaks that reach over my property..Have you ever had to take one by one 14 tiny dogs out and try to protect them from raptors.. Not to mention it is July in Florida and I hate the heat... I am terrified that my dogs are going to be prime rib for one of these birds.. I've been told by my vet that if I tie hellium balloons all over my property the hawks will stay away because they fear the balloons..It seems that is what is done to protect small animals at the zoo he worked at.. This will be my solution if one of them dares take one of these dogs...Shoot, shovel and shut up, will be my solution. It may be against the law but I have a right to protect my home against an intruder that tries to harm any one of my family and as far as I'm concerned a hawk on my property is definately an intruder that means me harm..

o

I live in the middle of a swamp. I love it here. Have seen hawks and owls eat my chickens. Anybody tells you different has never gotten out here and got their hands dirty. I have mostly large Rhode Island Reds. They hatch and grow up here and are trained by their mommies to avoid the carnivores. An overhead shadow will make the scramble for cover.
In my environment, you have to raise enough chickens for the wildlife too. Everyone has to eat.

o

Jayne - Build a covered run for the dogs, with a tunnel connecting it to the house. If they aren't going to be outside at night, it can be something as cheap and simple as a PVC or conduit "hoop house" covered with shade cloth and chicken netting.

Those are light weight enough to be movable.

o

I didn't really read all of the replies, but I know I can scare a hawk away. I do it all of the time, without even trying, but I didn't even want to do it in the first place.

Please excuse my intrusion. I am wondering if the Laughing Gull can be classified as a "Raptor". Apparently they are munching on Black Skimmer chicks down here in Florida, and they are considered worse than pigeons.

You may remember, I have my own opinions about gulls, and I think any bird that can take the food out of the mouth of a Brown Pelican deserves to be called a raptor.

Just MHO.

o

Just thought I would fill in the story about the hawk/chihuahua questions. I saw a red tailed guy with a bloodied pigeon in his talons last year outside my window and this year there is excitement of some fledglings down the block just leaving the nest so the hawks are making my neighborhood (Greenwich Village) home. My yorkies consider the fire escape their personal terrace so I have been looking to find the weight of the chihuahua to see if I should worry. That story dates back to 2003 in Bryant Park. The city was having issues with rat and pigeon populations in the park (where fashion week is twice a year) so they tried a week long experiment. They brought in a guy who trains hawks and falcons. He would release his hawks in the park to hunt and chase away the prey. It was working rather well until the chihuahua incident. Apparently the dog was investigating the shrubs when the hawk likely mistook him for a rat (no jokes here - I love all dogs!). The rats are often found in shrubs in the parks. People were able separate the dog from the hawk (bird was 2.5lbs - still don't know dog's weight) and the park covered vet bill where he was determined to be fine - just scared and bruised. The hired predator hawks were fired in a few days as a result of public outrage but as I can personally attest they are still living here in the wild! I have read of a 15lb cat in Queens supposedly picked up by a hawk however every place that story is listed has bird experts saying it just can not be true. They say a hawk can pick up twice his weight and one of my dogs is 6.5lbs so it's close if they weigh 2.5lbs. I am trying to get an answer about what is typical though.

Here is a link that might be useful: In Bryant Park, Hawks Are Circling and the Pigeons are Nervous

o

I was in Madison Sq Park ,in NYC, this past Sunday with my three dogs. Two chihuahuas ( each 4 pounds) and a border collie mix.
I live by this park and noticed Hawks coming and going everyday for the past couple of years.

I have been told not be worry about the hawks , that they only hunt rodent ..... i developed a sense of insecurity walking during the day in the park..... then something happened Sunday that reinforced my thoughts.

I had my chihuahuas close to me on a short leash as usual when i walk in the park ( to be safe) .......at some point the hawk that was on a far tree , flew down ...clearly pointing at my two little dogs.....got a foot high from them ( despite my presence next to them and my other larger dog close by ) than flew back up to another tree near by.

obviously nothing happened , but most likely his intention was to scoop one up if i was not so close and if some people would not shouting to warn me about the hawk.

people keep saying; '" hawks do not bother about tiny dogs".....my experience it is enough for me to say that hawks do bother ,......and yes , small dogs can be a target too......perhaps the hawks will not eat them but they can try to scoop a little dog up , causing a lot of injures.
So , be extra careful when you have small dogs and live in areas with prey birds . Your little dog can be a target!!!

i did some research with people in Europe expert on wild birds behavior ....to scare Hawks (and most of the birds) they suggest to use reflective surfaces.....like a cd surface or something similar. ......I am going to follow this suggestion and apply on the harness and on the leash a highly reflective material.
Hope this will help.

o

"Posted by Sterna (My Page) on Thu, Sep 15, 05
The hawk is not going to touch or even think of touching your friends papillons."

Someone spoke a little too soon.....

Best bet. Don't leave any small animal unattended in your yard.

Boy battles hawk to save pup
Dec 10, 2006

"WESTON - Chris Campo had to fight a wild beast for his puppy's life on Friday when a red tailed hawk tried to turn the youngster's Dachshund into dinner.

The attack happened at about 4:30 p.m., father Charles Campo said. He said his son was outside of their Chiltern Road home for about 30 seconds when he heard Dimi yelp in pain and heard the boy yell.

`I go outside and there was this enormous red tailed hawk and it had attacked the dog on its leash,'' said Charles Campo.`It was trying to carry the dog off, and my son wouldn't let go and he fought off the hawk. My son was literally fighting a hawk - I was stunned.''

Charles Campo said the hawk had a wingspan of about 3-4 feet, while the wiener dog Dimi weighs only about 8 or 9 pounds, he said."

A link that might be useful:
http://www.milforddailynews.com/x1350634149#ixzz25zk4cGfR"

o

Nathan (and any others who claim that small dogs are safe from birds of prey) are completely ignorant of the facts. Please....don't take my word for it...follow the link below to the video of a 6lb pomeranian that WAS attacked by a hawk. Look up hawks and small dogs on any search engine. ASK YOUR VET!!!! Your small pets ARE in danger. I have two yorkies and have had hawks actually dive on them (with me right there). PLEASE WATCH YOUR FURKIDS when they are outside. DO NOT have a doggy door and ALWAYS have them on a leash and be right there so you can protect them.

Here is a link that might be useful: 6lb Pomeranian that was attacked by a hawk

o

One of the more enjoyable things about farming is to observe a number of hawks, circling over my tractor waiting for me to flush out mice, rats, and rabbits. Sometimes it is a start to have one unexpectedly dive past me to get a mouse.

o

Here is a link that might be useful: العاب اطفال

This post was edited by shsh250 on Fri, Oct 18, 13 at 7:47

o

Here is a link that might be useful: العاب مصارعة

o

o

Here is a link that might be useful: تنظيف فلل

o

Here is a link that might be useful: Here is a link that might be useful: تنظيف فلل

o

For those of you who don't believe that a red-tailed hawk will attack a dog, then I will give you my recent experience. While walking my Yorkie--which is a very big 20 pound guy--in the woods near my home 5 days ago, a red-tailed hawk attacked him. I was looking at the feathers of an obviously dead cardinal that had been strewn on top of the tree that I use for a bridge across the creek and heard a loud yelp. I turned around to see the hawk attack my dog as he was exploring about 30' away. I immediately chased the hawk away and he flew up into an overhead tree and landed on a branch where he continued to observe us. My dog had retreated to the creek as I chased the hawk several trees away and knew he was hurt when he didn't follow me. He had punctures on his back and neck and one big one between his eyes. Today, the same hawk is eating one of our large well-fed squirrels on a fallen tree trunk behind my house. I would advise all dog owners to beware of the hawks--especially this year as it has been a bad winter in many parts of the country as it has here in Virginia--and to disregard those who say that hawks won't attack your pet. You only need one very hungry bird.

o

My friend's chihuahua was picked up and taken away by a hawk he said it was killed instantly by the talons. Another friend knows someone who's chi was picked up. The lady threw something at it, and the dog lived.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Raptors Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here