SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
texascountygardner

Crows and the Garden

texascountygardner
10 years ago

There is a crow, or a family of them, that have made a nest in the oak tree 20' away from my vegetable garden. I focus on tomatoes, peppers, eggplant, and some okra, squash.

I live in the country, surrounded by grass land (or lack thereof, in the current drought). I battle grasshoppers yearly, and plant trap crops, and live with quite a bit of damage.

I make sure to have bird water out for small birds, who otherwise peck the tomatoes for water.

We've always had crows in the fields, but i'm not sure how i feel about them in the yard, so close to the garden (and, quite honestly, to me). While i'm not worried about anything alive they may eat- indeed, if they eat grasshoppers, i'll send engraved invitations to every crow within 10 miles- i'm worried about the garden.

The only thing i can find for sure that crows eat is "everything." Including chickens, which is how i found this forum.

Anyone with any garden experience with crows, by any chance?

We have lots of other birds of prey- hawks, owls (tho i'd like to see more of them), buzzards, herons, etc. But they seem to live in peace w/ the crows. Certainly the crows have moved in closer than anything else. I scare one of them out of the nest everytime i go to the window on that side of the house.

thanks in advance!

Comments (2)

Sponsored