Return to the Raptors Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Male or Female Coopers?

Posted by Kriskat30 (My Page) on
Sun, Jan 23, 05 at 23:58

Had this visitor this morning, immature Coopers, but can you tell if it's a male or female?

Image link: Male or Female Coopers? (54 k)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Male or Female Coopers?

Forgot to add that I'm leaning toward female, due to size (about as big as a crow-14-16 inches tall)

o

I wouldnt even try to tell the difference between them, it is very difficult since there is an overlap in size.
Nathan

o

This one sure knows how to pose for the camera.

o

There is no overlap in size beween the male and female Cooper's hawk. Hawk banders can sex them according to size, specifically wing cord (the length from their wrist to the longest primary). The females are quite larger in length and weight. Brown and Amadon say the females average about 20 oz, the males 14 oz.

o

sry I meant overlap between sharpies and coops, sry my mistake. What I should have said is there is really no way to tell from the pic, becuase there is no point of reference.
Nathan

o

Well, the deck rail it is standing on is 2 inches thick, and in the uncropped photo it ends just below the lowest talon, which makes the bird roughly 14-16 inches tall(10-12 inches without the tail). Does that information help at all?

o

This bird could be a Sharp-shinned Hawk.

Luc

o

Im kinda leaning towards what your saying Luc, that coarse barring on the chest makes it look alot like a Sharp Shinned Hawk, much thicker and shorter streaked than a Coopers should be. Compare the picture of this supposed "coopers" and the coopers hawk on the post just a few above this one (Need help on ID here). Im gonna say sharp shinned, Im sure someone else has a different take, but that barring sure points to sharpie!
Nathan

o

Also compare (Coopers hawk-a new yard companion) this bird is a coopers and observe the long thinly streaked breast.
Nathan

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Raptors Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here