Return to the Name That Animal Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What kind of animal is this?

Posted by ffb613 (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 18, 14 at 12:37

We often have opossums and raccoons in our backyard, but what is this? We live in CT.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What kind of animal is this?

That looks like a Fisher (Martes pennanti). Cool sighting.

o

He's a cutie. How long did he stay in your yard???

o

He was chased up a tree by my neighbor's dog, he hung out there all day and was gone in the morning. My kids thought it was really cool (it was!) =)

o

That is so sweet. Is it something that lives where you are??? Which state are you in??? I'm in Canada and I doubt we have any here where I live.

michelle

o

The good news ... they eat SQUIRRELS!!!!

o

I don't think they are so common in my area (New Haven), probably in the many woods in CT, but my area is not rural at all....
As for the squirrels, actually my neighbor was concerned that it was responsible for some recent attacks on his chickens =(. He seems to be long gone now, though. He certainly is cute!

o

I've never heard of squirrels attacking chickens, but....you never know. I grew up on a farm and for us was always the foxes and coyotes we had to worry about.

o

No, I was replying to lazygarden's post that the fisher cats are good because they eat squirrels, and saying that the fisher cat may have been responsible for eating the chickens. =)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Animal Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here