Return to the Name That Animal Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Coyote or wolf or hybrid?

Posted by ovenbird (My Page) on
Mon, May 18, 09 at 10:19

Had this beautiful animal wander through our backyard several times this spring. It is quite a bit larger than a coyote (about 1/3 bigger), but was running around with one. Its tail was never held up like a dog when it runs.

Unfortunately, we didn't retrieve the scat until after a day of heavy rains so it was not in its original condition. But we could see the scat contained what we think are teeth...1/4-1/2" creamy "bits" of smooth, regular shape and size. We didn't probe into the scat but only looked at the outer edges, so we don't know what other goodies were included.

Any ideas of what this might be?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Coyote or wolf or hybrid?

look like a mix between the two. the Coyote you seen could be a mate. They do cross on rare occasions.

o

Although it looks like it still has a winter coat, that's an awfully big coyote. I don't see wolf in any part of the animal other than the estimated size. Coyotes are bigger in the east than in the west, and I don't know where you live, but I live in NJ and I've actually got a pic of a black coyote very similar to your second pic(taken in April of 07) and it's clearly not nearly as large. I'd say you either have a very large and healthy coyote or what is referred to as a coydog. A hybrid between a male coyote and a female feral dog.

o

Thanks for the suggestions.

suzq_07: We live near Chicago, so we're considered "east". Could you post your picture?

o

Sure, here's the link. Sorry about the quality. This was taken with a trail camera.

Here is a link that might be useful: Black Coyote

o

What awesome photos! I have never seen a coyote like either of these.

o

Personally this animal looks like a coyote dog hybrid. It's not that uncommon for the two species to intermix.

o

That is called a coydog. They are common for up here in NY but odd for Illinois.

o

I would agree with most of the postings. It's a coy. If you have cats or small dogs as pets or small children I'd keep them up. They are even more agressive then regular coyotes. They don't have that natural fear of man that coyotes do. We have seen several pure black coyotes here as well. The small white creamy bits may have been tapeworms. Common in predetory animals like coys and coyotes.

o

I have heard a biologist speak in northeastern coyotes and she said that a large number of "coyotes" in that area carry some wolf dna is their blood. That first pic of this post sure looks like a wolf-coyote, the head, ears and eye positioning doesn't look like dog material. But who knows...maybe an f2 cross.

o

i live 40 mi west of chicago, and we have a wolf in our forest preserves. took pics to wolf park and monty sloan, famous wolf photographer, believes it to be a wolf. saw it close up -15 ft away- not huge but shepard size. black body with brownish face whitish throat andbelly. small ears like wolf tail like wolf, not coyote. no look of dog at all. more coyote like face then dog. if anything othe then pure wolf, coywolf. could be what yours is. white spots show its shedding its winter coat. summer coat will be much lighter. have pics of ours showing it shedding its winter coat. looks scruffy.

o

shirleyt59, cool! Can you post your pics?

o

sorry, I cant figure out how to post it, its in one of my email folders. I would email it to you if you want it. ha ha ! not very computer savvy

o

Looks like a coywolf to me. Here on Cape Cod, the vast majority of our coyotes have at least 25% wolf DNA, according to our local wildlife experts, and your critter has the same look as many around here.

Regardless of what it is, if it's roaming around your neighborhood, keep an eye on your kids when they're playing outside!

o

Whoa! That is a beautiful animal, but mean looking! I would be cautious heading outdoors! Keep track of your pets and kids.

o

Great shot!
Coyotes can get large, I was wondering about this animal too, turned out to be a Coyote.
Photobucket

Photobucket

o

I was thinking the exact same thing, that it appears to be a mix of wolf/coyote. A beautiful animal!

o

Regardless of what this animal is ,everyone here seems so different than folks here in Ar. They wouldn't shoot them with a camera,they would shoot them with a 30-06 . They are protecting their cattle, chickens or whatever. I think there is a place for them here.....

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Animal Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here