SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
snaillover_gw

Please ID tracks in snow

I noticed these tracks in my fenced-in yard today. It appears the animal came from the front yard, jumped the fence, and I'm not sure how it exited. My first thought was coyote or fox, possibly mountain lion as there have been some sightings around here. However, it could also be a big dog. I did see a black lab in my front yard this morning. The snow here is very deep and packed down somewhat. I weigh 110 lbs and am able to walk across the snow and sink in occasionally, if that helps give an idea of the density. Could a big dog spring up from deep snow and jump a fence?

I love all wildlife so I'm not necessarily freaked out, but I do have a small dog that I let out in the yard. Depending on what the tracks are, I will start going out with him at night.

I have a book on animal tracks but I was unable to ID the tracks from that. The pads look close together and I didn't see any pictures exactly like them. I took several pics and linked them to my photobucket account. Thanks for any help.

Oh, I'm in northern Michigan and I live in a wooded subdivision. There are houses all over but also woods too. I found rabbit fur and dove feathers the other day, so something is feeding on the wildlife. I thought maybe an owl or hawk. I wasn't thinking anything else until now.

Here is a link that might be useful: Link to photos

This post was edited by SnailLover on Mon, Mar 24, 14 at 22:36

Comments (4)

Sponsored
More Discussions