Return to the Name That Animal Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What is this animal track

Posted by bdhildebrand (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 5, 07 at 18:46

This was seen in North East Texas this past weekend. It was huge, about the size of my hand. I'm 6'0, 180 lbs. It was pretty deep too. Any thoughts as to what this is. I'm baffled as it appears to only have 3 toes and I don't know what could fall into that category, unless one or more didn't imprint. I would suggest that maybe it was more than one animal but don't think so as the back pad appears to be intact and completley from only one animal. Thanks for your help.

Image link: What is this animal track (41 k)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What is this animal track

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

o

What about a track that had been modified by the same animal stepping twice (front and back paw) in the same spot? Or an animal minus a toe or two?

There aren't any three toed mammals. Well, other than a SLOTH, for cryin' out loud. ;-)

o

I thought armadillos had three toes too:-) Their tracks anyway. Is there such a thing as a Giant Armadillo?

You know what. That has got to be more than one track. Look at only the two toes on the left and it looks like a big deer track. Maybe a mulie? Although I can't account for the rounded back part of it. The other part is shooting off towards the right and may be a second track of something else.

o

Looks like a deer track on top of another impression. We see many strange looking tracks that turn out to be nothing more than one track placed near or on top of another ground anomaly.

Always look for more than one track to be sure that it isn't a 'double stepped' track. If you see many more similar looking tracks, then you have something to go by.

Kt

o

yes i have to agree with kentuk it seems like its a deer track first made by the front hoof then the back its not that uncommon to see deer tracks overlapping each other like that

o

Probably hog tracks to go with the (probable) hog dung in another posting. ;-)

o

Pig or peccary was my guess judging by the two toes on the left side of the track.Of course Texas has deer, sheep and countless other exotic from around the world.

o

I found these very similar tracks this past weekend in the Ocala National Forest. I have no idea what they are, and I've been hunting and tracking that forest all my life. It definitely isn't a deer track that has been stepped on a second time.

o

It's one feral hog track superimposed on top of another, a big hog, too, judging from the size of the toes. You are in the heart of feral hog country, so I'm surprised you haven't seen them everywhere. There is a huge problem with these dangerous, destructive invasive animals in much of Texas.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Animal Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here