Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dbobul

Raising Praying Mantis help??advice??

dbobul
9 years ago

This spring I was hoping to start two cocoons of Praying Mantis. I was hoping to release a few of them into my own garden, give a few away to a few friends who garden and possibly keep one or two in a fish thank for my son to watch grow. I have a ten gallon tank with a tight fitting screen lid that I was going to put some twigs in to house them.
I have never embarked on this before and would like some feedback from the forum. positive or negative. I've read of the positive role that the mantis plays in the garden keeping pest insects in check, but I've also read some horror stories from people claiming watch mantis in their gardens feasting on honey bees, butterflies, and even attacking hummingbirds. There is some really wild YouTube videos on the latter.
I am planning on using mantis cocoon breeder who can be found on Amazon. All of the reviews regarding the company are pretty positive, so I'm pretty sure that the pods they provide will yield a few mantis. I am however wondering if I can order these pods now and leave them on my porch until the springtime without having to worry about the cold winter killing the eggs. I'm in NJ for reference.
Anything that anyone can offer to be in the way of advice or guidance is greatly appreciated. I'm asking now because I tried to order the cocoons last year just before the spring and no one had anything hence i had to wait till this year. Thank you in advance.

Comments (2)