Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cmbill

spider cocoons

cmbill
17 years ago

I live in Southeast NJ area. Have an outdoor shed and I recently went to get my kayak seats and found what looked like a blood engorged tick on the seat but it was actually a spider. There were numerous little cobweb type patches with little grub or maggot-like instects encased. Have also been finding these little insects on other fabric or cloth type items stored in the shed.

In the 15 years that I have had this shed I cant remember finding anything like this before.The only thing different this year is we had a box of peanuts in the shell stored in the shed that we were feeding to the squirrells.Also found some of the little critters in the box.

Anyone know what these are or have a link to pictures/info?

Thanx

cmbill

Comments (11)

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    17 years ago

I suppose that the latter could be the cocoons of pantry moths, pests of grains and seeds. They will attach them all over the darned place. That would merely be a guess, though, without a better description (size, for example) or image.

You might want to try what'sthatbug.com to see if you can find your spider. There are several pages of great spider images.

Here is a link that might be useful: Click here

• cmbill
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks for the reply rhizo,I'll check out that link and also try to post a photo of the cocoons tomorrow.That spider is long gone,is it possible it looked like a tick due to an egg sack?

cmbill

• cmbill
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Here is a link to the pictures,hopefully they'll be there,this is the first time I ever tried linking photos.
    Come to think of it,this might be like pantry moth bugs I have seen before in flour.The bug is visible to the right of the cobweb material.This one appeared to be dead.I took two pictures one with the flash on was washed out and the one without flash was too dark!

cmbill

Here is a link that might be useful: light bug picture

• cmbill
    Original Author
    17 years ago

This is the dark picture but the bug is more easily visible

Here is a link that might be useful: dark picture

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    17 years ago

Yep, that's one of those pesky pantry moth cocoons. In your outdoor shed, they could be taking advantage of bird seed, grass seed, and those peanutes!

I'm afraid that I just can't answer to the spider, without seeing it. Perhaps it was a spider swollen with eggs, prior to laying them?

• cmbill
    Original Author
    17 years ago

OK,I guess that solves that mysttery for me.Will these bugs live through the winter? Most of them already appeared to be dead or dormant. I usually give my shed a throrough cleaning in the spring and didn't want to have them multiplying until then!

thanx
    cmbill

• cmbill
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Managed to get a picture of the spidey that I think is laying the eggs or coccoons or whatever.You have to double click on the image to enlarge it.

cmbill

Here is a link that might be useful: shed spider

• jean001
    17 years ago

A tad small to see a lot of detail. But the very light color suggests that it's a sac spider.

• cmbill
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Did you double click on the image?

Happy Thanksgiving
    cmbill

• jean001
    17 years ago

Yes. Guess I should have been more specific. Although the picture is sizeable, the spider is small.

• cmbill
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I'll try to zoom in on the picture with a photo program,if I can I'll post another link.Thanks for the sac spider tip.Researched it,looks like it might be a yellow sac spider(cream house spider).

cmbill