Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rrochester_gw

Help ID this insect

rrochester
9 years ago

I've never seen this insect before but they've been around my deck this year and last. Sorry, I'm not skilled enough to rotate this photo. When they hatch they congregate for a while before they go out on their own. This one is apparently full grown. They have this protrusion that they apparently use to procure other insects on which to dine. The victim this insect has in this photo is an earwig - by the tail to be exact. I can't tell whether the protrusion is actually in the earwig or just fastened to it. Last year I observed three of these insects with their protrusions all in another earwig. I haven't yet seen them attack any other kind of insect. If you know anything about this insect, I'd be pleased to know more about it. Thanks.

Comments (3)

• Fori
    9 years ago

Stink bug--the good kind?

Cute, aren't they?

Here is a link that might be useful: http://entnemdept.ufl.edu/creatures/beneficial/e_floridanus.htm

• jean001a
    9 years ago

That "protrusion" is its piercing-sucking mouthpart which, at rest, is carried underneath the body.

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    9 years ago

The mouthpart is rather like a hollow tube that they stab into their victim. They inject powerful digestive juices first and then suck the liquified 'innards ' as their meal.

Very nice image, thank you for posting.

Sponsored
Custom Decks, Patios & Outdoor Enclosures Solutions in Loudoun County