Return to the Insects Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What happens to ants during the winter?

Posted by scaly (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 17, 06 at 12:47

I have lots of ants all over my 2 acre property in south east MA. I probably have a few different varieties as well. Where do all these ants go for the winter? Do they die or just stay in the ground?
Just curious. As long as they don't come into the house I'm fine.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What happens to ants during the winter?

In your location, many (not all) of the adult generation of worker ants will die as cold settles in and food supplies dwindle. However, the queen and many of her workers, as well as eggs and pupae will over winter in fine shape. No menfolk allowed. Ants (female) can live for two or three years, and a queen can live for many years. Some ant species are known to nest near homes to take advantage of heat sources.

Be glad that you don't live down south, where fire ant colonies will often combine during the winter to form huge super communities.

o
RE: What happens to ants during the winter?

Thank you. Yeh there are some good things about living in the north. One of them is not having the types of ants you describe and some other nasty critters. I just have to watch out for termites.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Insects Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here