Return to the Insects Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
A green insect that looks like a bit like leaves?

Posted by dragonstone (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 23, 06 at 21:19

A short while ago, I was in my backyard watering my elephant ears when suddenly I realized that this was a bug and not a crumpled leaf. I was suddenly surprised that I ran in and got a digital camera.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y248/dragonslumber/leafy1.jpg
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y248/dragonslumber/leafy2.jpg

I did a search online and didn't find anything so I pretty much gave up. I figured it was one of those rare bugs that just pop up and disappear and no one would quite know what it was.

Until tonight when I saw two!

Bad picture since it was taken at night:
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y248/dragonslumber/leafybugs2.jpg

Does anyone have any idea on what they are? I thought maybe it could be a type of grasshopper but even that search isn't bringing anything up.

It's incredibly neat how the body looks like a leaf was folded in the right places.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: A green insect that looks like a bit like leaves?

Dragonstone,
Those are katydids. We have them all over. That is what you hear calling at night- the two to three syllable calls.

o

They make a rough sound, kind of like when you run a comb on your fingernails. It sounds like "zz-zz-zz" or "ka-ty-did".

o

I was watering my hibiscus when I saw this green bug that was at least 2 1/2" long with big hind legs for hopping and a flat, almost square head. I plucked it off my bush and it flew away! Are they harmful to gardens? Or are they good for a garden?

o

They eat leaves, but not a lot, IMPE - tend to be nocturnal, I believe.

o

hey guys I got a good one! I have seen 3 of the beautiful katydids recently. is it legal to kill them? sorry I forgot to take a picture..

o

Is it LEGAL to kill katydids? Ummm...no, they are not protected by the Department of Natural Resources. It's just senseless to kill them, not illegal.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Insects Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here