Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
synthrax

Help identifying/killing insect eggs

Synthrax
9 years ago

Hi, I recently encountered, what appears to be, insect eggs on my window screen. Does anyone know what kind of insect they are from, and how to kill them? I've sprayed them with bleach.. is this enough? We don't have any raid or insect repellent. Sorry for the crummy picture quality, I only have a really old cellphone to take photos with.

Comments (7)

• larry_gene
    9 years ago

Not enough photo information there to tell; I assume you are referring to the brownish areas.

If insect eggs, you were on the right track with bleach; I don't know that Raid would work on eggs unless stated on the can; and eggs cannot be "repelled".

Heat, such as from a hair dryer, would work fine on a metal screen; might deform a plastic screen. I would just go with a toothbrush and scrub them out.

• usedoil94
    9 years ago

Identify common garden pests and garden bugs with our insect pictures. Know their life-cycles, how to identify insects that are harmful to your plants, and how to use organic and natural pesticides to get rid of garden pests when growing vegetables, fruit, flowers and plants.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://members.gardenweb.com/members/exch/usedoil94

• larry_gene
    9 years ago

The above link, to a forum member's journal page, was not helpful for this topic.

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    9 years ago

Nocturnal moths are the usual culprit for laying eggs on window screens.

If they hatch at all, the caterpillars are doomed, of course. The eggs should simply be scrubbed off, as Larry mentioned. No need for pesticides or bleach....you'll have to scrub them off regardless of what you spray.

• HU-898405862
    4 years ago

I dont really know whether these are moth eggs or butterfly eggs. Either way I’m not a fan of insects no matter how beautiful they may be. And I certainly don’t want them or the offspring on my window. Can someone tell me what this is? And should I remove them.

• PRO
    The Logician LLC
    4 years ago

I'm assuming "them" are the eggs and "this" is the adult moth.

The adult is a Polyphemus moth. The eggs are similar to Polyphemus moth eggs. The moth is not rare, so you can remove and discard the eggs. This is an odd time of the year for the adult moth to be laying eggs. I don't know if any of the host plants are leafed-out in your area. It they are, that moth likely laid some eggs on those plants already.

• raycurci
    7 months ago

Have had issues with brown sticky bug larvae all over the window screens for a while. Anything I tried to remove it either flat out didn't work , or, worked but also removed the color from the aluminum screen from dark gray to bright aluminum. Finally this fall tried using clorox spray and cleaner for tubs and showers. UNBELIEVABLE!!! Spray the insect larvae from both sides and brush both side with a tooth brush. Wipe clean and repeat. Then brush the whole screen with a dust pan brush and it looks brand new. Also trying another trick of spraying the screens with deep woods off before this happens next year. Supposed to keep the bugs off the screens.

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths