Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mmfirmin

bug on our outside column

mmfirmin
9 years ago

We have tiny bugs that are corroding our column's. The form to make a form of dirt.

Comments (10)

• Fori
    9 years ago

It's too blurry to say for sure but they look like parasitic wasps just emerging from a doomed...something. A caterpillarish creature. The little wasps are generally beneficial unless you are their victim.

Why do you think there is corrosion? Can you get a better picture?

• mmfirmin
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I have tried getting a closer picture but it is blurry. I have them all on all vinyl of my house. The weird thing is they are not on the side where the sun hits. the are on the ceiling as well. I don't know why I have this corrosion. It started early part of this year and didn't realize there was bugs in them until recently.

• larry_gene
    9 years ago

Try this edited image:

Winged insects with prominent antennae, could be wasps, didn't get the impression of a caterpillar, the hatch cells look too uniformly placed for that.

• Fori
    9 years ago

Egg parasites? Those do look too tidy to be cocoons.

Anyway, I bet it'll just scrape off.

• mmfirmin
    Original Author
    9 years ago

yes you can scrape off. Is this a problem I should be concerned about

• Fori
    9 years ago

Nope. They're considered beneficial insects because they often attack pest eggs (if that's what we're actually looking at!), and the egg laying of whatever laid those eggs that they parasitized is probably seasonal (depending on where you're located of course). So you may get it for a few weeks or months this year and then again next year.

Is there more than one batch? It might just be a fluke that something decided to lay eggs there. (if they're eggs, again.)

• mmfirmin
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I may have close to 50 or more and they are not in one spot it is every where. am in louisiana

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    9 years ago

I think that they might be moth eggs. Females of some species will lay rafts of eggs on window screens, porch ceilings, etc. because they are attracted to those areas at night. Moths are nocturnal.

That would be my best guess, having seen this kind of thing many times.

• larry_gene
    9 years ago

This makes sense, the wasps are not emerging from the cells but rather are availing themselves of the moth eggs or the tiny caterpillars that emerge.

There are various pheromone moth traps, sprays, or bug zappers that might intercept your moths before they lay eggs on the house. The beneficial wasps are not out at night.

Perhaps you are not running night lighting that would attract the moths on the sunny side of the house, or those surfaces remain hotter during the night and the moths do not like it.

• mmfirmin
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you so much. Now I know moth eggs after looking up images on internet that is exactly it. Mystery solved

Sponsored
Michael Nash Design, Build & Homes
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars254 Reviews
Northern Virginia Design Build Firm | 18x Best of Houzz