Return to the Insects Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Insect Type

Posted by DanLovesCrowz22 (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 24, 14 at 18:24

I found LOADS of these things in the woodlands near a pond. Almost half were mating, when I saw these it was mid July time and was about 20 degrees. They do have wings and fly. They were all red with only black legs. I also saw some butterfly's, crickets, caterpillars and hornet nests. I was just wondering if any one could identify this unique insect??

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Insect Type

Your image is not the best to make an ID from.

o

Right; by inverting and sharpening the image, it looks like a moth, either tortrix or noctuid families.

o

This is the only other picture I have.

o

You almost fooled me there, and I was wondering about the black legs comment for the first image.

The first image is the moth I mentioned.

The second image is of a beetle that has black legs. I can't pin down a single beetle family.

o

There both the same thing, the first one isn't very good.

o

No, those are two different types of insects, they are shown on different plants. You may have been surrounded by flying red insects, it would have been easy to lose track of which was which when taking several photos. Insect in the first image does not have black legs like the second image insect.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Insects Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here