Return to the Insects Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Morning Glory Pest

Posted by bkarts (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 30, 14 at 17:15

I have morning glories growing (rather nicely I think) in a flower box on my 14th-floor terrace in Manhattan. Two days ago, all the lower leaves were intact. This morning here's what I see. What did this? Will this kill the vines? What can I do?

I have seen no bugs on the vine -- maybe they come out at night? I am here only in the daytime, so can't monitor it all the time.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Morning Glory Pest

This is a little surprising - the leaf damage is caused by leaf-cutter bees - they use the pieces of leaf to line nests they make, typically in holes in wood. I wouldn't expect them to be up as high as the 14th floor, though. Watch for bees that look a bit like small honeybees, but usually darker. They shouldn't cause any lasting damage to your plants, and give you an opportunity to observe a very interesting bit of nature in the city. Check the link below.

Tucker

Here is a link that might be useful: Leaf-cutter bees

o

I am thrilled to know this. Nature persists! This terrace is not only on the 14th floor, it is right on the edge of Times Square.

Yes, now I recall seeing some of these little bees, though I didn't see them cutting leaves. I looked for a possible nest. There is no wood at all on this terrace -- only stone, some metal facings, ceramic tiles, bricks, wrought iron railings, steel window frames. Mosses and grass and some little weeds grow between the tiles.

Obviously the critters have found a cozy spot -- I will continue looking. Thank you so much for this!

Beth

o

Only the female bees do this, and they are solitary, excavating rotted wood or using existing inches-long small voids in walls or other structures.

It is possible your particular bee is done for the year.

o

Thank you Larry, that's good to know. I will look for the burrow. And track them again next year.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Insects Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here