Return to the Insects Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tiny Bugs in House

Posted by debbeeanne (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 26, 05 at 16:27

My dd and her dh have a brand new house. There are a lot of tiny little brown bugs crawling around. They are smaller than a flea and look like they may be beetles of some type. They are longer rather than round. They are not carpet beetles because I have seen those. They are too tiny to take a picture of. Any ideas what they may be?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tiny Bugs in House

Some of the smallest insects on earth are beetles. Your family is likely being visited by the foreign grain beetle, a common household 'guest', especially in NEW homes.

They are smaller than fleas, as you mentioned, about 1/16 to 1/10 of an inch in length. I find them in my own home occasionally.

They should not be confused with insects that are trying to eat your pantry foods. These guys are mold and fungus eaters, debris digesters. Once the house settles in, and all of the wood dries out, these beetles are likely to go away completely. If not, check for leaky places or moldy dry wall.

Here is a link that might be useful: Foreign Grain Beetle

o

Thank you so much. I haven't looked at them under a magnifying glass, but it sounds like these are the bugs. I will forward this to my DD.

o

I have an infestation of tiny bugs in my bathroom. They jump when you try to touch them... are they the same as yours???

Susie

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Insects Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here