Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sweetchastity

Hornet/Wasp nest picture?

sweetchastity
15 years ago

I noticed this round thing in the tree across from my deck when the wind picked up as a storm approached and the branches were blowing around.

{{!gwi}}

I live in an old country house and have been on the look out for wasps or hornets that may indicate a nest in the attic or roofing above my deck (the house is divided into 3 apartments). It doesn't look like a bald hornet nest but it doesn't look like a birds nest, its too egg shaped. Its nearing the end of July and from what I've read wasps/hornets start to forage in the late summer. I'm concerned with its proximity to my deck and for the cat and dog of the other tenants living here.

The tree is approximately 10 to 20 feet from my deck but I'm concerned if it should fall or something agitate the nest that they might go on the offensive. The tree is probably 20-30 feet from a three story apartment building and I know people use their balconies to enjoy the summer.

Can anyone identify this nest as an insect nest? Its not really smooth, has wispy strands on the bottom. It doesn't look secure enough to be a birds nest and it definitely isn't the right shape. I can't see any bugs around it but its very high up in the tree. Should I be concerned about it? My apartment isn't very bug proof, its an old house so lots of things get in and I've seen hornets or wasps in the attic window but usually just a couple or so. Usually if you leave them alone they'll leave you alone.

I've never had to deal with this situation before and the landlord may not be receptive to spending money since he bought the land and the house was a bonus, he doesn't charge much, just to maintain the house which will probably be torn down one day. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Comments (4)

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    15 years ago

The image is a bit dim to see this nest very well (at least for me) but judging by what I CAN see and from what you've described, it does sound like a hornet's nest.

I'll attach some other images for you to compare. By the way, these nests might not appear to be sturdy or well attached, but you would be surprised. This nest could also be from last year.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bald-faced hornet nests

• sweetchastity
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Here are close ups from all the pics I took. Unless the wind blows the branches back its hard to get a good shot of it. That was why I never noticed it until a storm was coming in and the wind was blowing so strongly I saw it as I was closing a window.

It doesn't look like a bald hornet's nest. The outside looks kinda fuzzy, which was why I thought it was a birds nest at first but the round shape I think rules that out.

• chuckr30
    15 years ago

The real question is, is it an active nest? If it's last year's nest, then there are no hornets in it.

• tucker_sp
    15 years ago

You did not say how big it is, but judging by the cones on the tree for size and the general appearance, I'd say you have an oriole nest - watch & listen for the birds. Check the link below.
    Tucker

Here is a link that might be useful: Oriole nest