Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kwmama_gw

Questions about termites

KWMama
10 years ago

So we live in key west, Fl it is know for it's many tropical insects, one thing that bothers me is that we have a huge balcony door and whenever I turn the light on all kinds of bugs get attracted to the light, a couple of days ago what looked like a swarm of mating termites decided to hang around our balcony, luckily I had the whole floor and doors sprayed with Hot Shot 9 month prevention insecticide,minutes after the termites arrived I noticed they were lying on the balcony floor, wings shed but they're still so I figured they're dead, I made sure the doors are closed tightly and I turned off the light, the next morning I decided to sweep the floor and I did I got all the wings and dead termites, then I mopped the inside of the house, a day after that I noticed 2 or 3 wings on the floor on the inside of the balcony door, now I don't know much about termites but these are my questions :
1) can one or two termites infest a house solely?
2) if it's true what's the damage I'm looking at?
3) could it be that wings from outside got stuck in our shoes or clothes then went in the house with us?
4) ac is always on and it's not humid inside, will termites survive on dry wood?
5)how can I tell or make sure there's termites inside? What to look for and where to look?
6) if so, will they reproduce? And if they do will I be having ant problems in my house what I mean is do termites have smaller crawlers like a queen ant and her soldiers? Or do they stay hidden? (I hate bugs especially ants, I have a baby and they seem to like her formula!!)
7) if I find out its termites inside what are my options?
8) if this is not the right place to post I'm sorry I don't know I joined just to post this and I need your help any advice you can give me would be gold!

This post was edited by KWMama on Tue, Mar 4, 14 at 7:42

Comments (3)

• larry_gene
    10 years ago

You are probably OK, and some termite parts could have been tracked inside. You have spent a lot of time on your posting and have a lot of detailed questions.

This is not a real active forum, yet someone with expertise on termites might respond, it could take many days, though.

You are more likely to find timely advice on websites such as:
    http://www2.ca.uky.edu/entomology/entfacts/ef604.asp

• tropicbreezent
    10 years ago

A lot would depend on which species of termite they are. The majority of species are grass eaters. Although they can leave trails/grooves in timber where they build their nest. But there are wood eaters so it pays to be vigilant.

After the mating flight the young queens are fertilised for life. They find a secure dark place and lay eggs. When the young mature they take on all the duties of collecting food, tending the queen and new brood, defense and expansion of the nest. Of all the termites that go on the mating flight and then are attracted to lights very few if any manage to establish a new colony. They are an important food source for a lot of creatures. Any survivors are usually only those that get back to the original nest. But, there can be exceptions.

Because termites construct their own controlled climate nests and tunnel system it doesn't matter if the outside environment is dry. They prefer high humidity and get it in the nest and tunnels.

To stop them coming to your lights you can use yellow fluorescent tubes. You only need to use them on the few nights a year when the mating flights are on.

When living in a termite area it's a good idea to get a professional to check the house from time to time. Houses should be built to make it difficult for termites to infest. Of course, that doesn't always happen. Good luck with it.

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    10 years ago

Are you sure that they are even termites? Ants swarm just like termites and when the mating rituals are over, they leave little piles of wings and carcasses all over.

If you get a positive identification (take some to your local extension office) of termites, you'll need to call a qualified extermination company (bonded and insured) to investigate. They will be able to take care of the problem far more efficiently AND safer than you with your household sprays.