Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sparky_10_ec_iowa

Brown Recluse?

sparky_10
10 years ago

Hopefully not! The body is about 1/3" long, maybe smaller. It has segmented and striped legs. When I hit it with a shoe it stopped in it's progress of moving across my carpeted bedroom floor. Had to whack it a few times!

Comments (8)

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    10 years ago

One hundred percent NOT a brown recluse. BR never have stripes, are an all over golden brown color with a clear shape of a violin on their cephalorthorax. I've seen several.

To become familiar with BRs and other poisonous spiders that may reside in your location, I strongly suggest that you take advantage of Google Videos. I can think of no better way to see these animals in action without actually seeing them in person.

• Sharon McKenzie
    10 years ago

This is most absolutely NOT a Brown Recluse! It doesn't resemble one in the slightest, as Loxosceles reclusa never has striped legs at all, nor a pattern on the abdomen. This is a harmless and beneficial Wolf Spider species that will actually eat Recluse spiders, if you even have them where you live. The "grabbers" you mentioned are the spider's pedipalps, which are male reproductive organs, indicating that this poor unfortunate animal was a mature male out looking for a mate. I've included a link to a good clear photo of a real Brown Recluse for comparison-note the absence of leg stripes and striping on the abdomen, as well as a distinct "fiddle"-shaped design on the carapace.

Here is a link that might be useful:

• sparky_10
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Wow! Thank you for the pic, Sharon. That's the clearest pic of a BR I've ever seen!

Whew, and thank you both for the replies. I'm not an automatic spider killer. When I lived in Mississippi I left the cobwebs in the ceiling corners. Best mosquito traps in the world!

• jean001a
    10 years ago

Perhaps this will help

re Brown recluse in Iowa
    http://www.ipm.iastate.edu/ipm/hortnews/2002/5-24-2002/brownrecluse.html

Here is a link that might be useful: re Brown recluse in Iowa

• sparky_10
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you for the link Jean, good article!

• jtafaro
    10 years ago

As the name says they are reclusive and you will probably not see one. there are 8 species in the SW US and don't usually occur in the Eastern US. The ones we do see are hitchhikers from the SW In Louisiana it's too damp for them. Most bites are MRSA infections. Doctors aren't entomologists and have to call the sores something.

• jtafaro
    10 years ago

As the name says they are reclusive and you will probably not see one. there are 8 species in the SW US and don't usually occur in the Eastern US. The ones we do see are hitchhikers from the SW In Louisiana it's too damp for them. Most bites are MRSA infections. Doctors aren't entomologists and have to call the sores something.

• HankS.
    9 years ago

Brown recluse spiders, we own Why-U-Buggin Pest Control and have calls about brown recluse spiders weekly. They create nasty, infected sores that can lead to death.

Here is a link that might be useful: Why-U-Buggin Pest Control