Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
klippenwald

Encourage and attract Fireflies (how to?)

Klippenwald
12 years ago

I've searched the Internet on the best way to go about this and the available information seems vague and incomplete.

What some may not know is that fireflies are disappearing. The usual reasons are the culprit, destruction of habitat, pesticides, etc. We have near 10 acres of wooded lot with year-round and seasonal streams, part of the intended use of this land it to let it remain wild specifically for wildlife. We'd also like to encourage and foster firefly population, but due to the lack of specific information out there we have no real idea of what to do.

We know: they like grass or grassy areas, eat grubs, possibly like moist or swampy areas and rotting wood.

Lots of questions left unanswered. If they eat grubs, what kind? Would their favorite food, if encouraged, be a pest or damaging to anything else? What sort of grasses do they prefer? What soil conditions do they prefer? Many questions.

So if anyone knows anything specific about how to bring these magical little bugs to an area, and to keep them happy and multiplying, please post it here. I guess it would be helpful to know roughly the zone/area where the knowledge applies, too.

We're 5a, Hudson Valley.

Comments (5)

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    12 years ago

The larvae of the fireflies are predatory and feed on a fairly wide assortment of critters that also live in the soil. On their diet might be slugs, earthworms, beetle larvae (grubs), sowbugs, cutworms and web worms, etc.

The larvae would prosper in the wooded areas, especially if undisturbed and moist. Garden soil would be a likely location, as long as the location is not overly cultivated. The soil under your lawn, as well, as long as it's not treated with the usual assortment of lawn chemicals. Chemicals of any kind would be a detriment to this larval stage. Firefly larvae, by the way, can live for up to three years or even more.

The adults hide in grass and and low growing plants that provide shelter and protection during the day. If you plant a variety of shrubs and perennials, along with the lawn, you'll be creating a good habitat. Some species may be found on flowers, where they may feed on pollen. It is thought that, for the most part, adult fireflies don't feed on anything during the very short time they are alive. The larvae pupate in the soil, the adults emerge...mate...and die shortly afterward. The females will lay their eggs in the soil before she dies.

There is no question that mosquito abatement chemicals harm adult fireflies. It is said that light pollution in the form of street lamps, yard lights that burn all night can also have a negative effect.

Any other questions?

• Klippenwald
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Nope, thanks for the quick reply! After looking around on the 'net, it seems that there is quite a bit of widespread information on firefly habitat and the challenges to the insect's existence. I decided to create a blog that will hopefully gather some real-world information about creating a 'firefly garden'. What sort of plants, soil, grubs, worms or what have you that they'll like and how to balance this with a regular garden. If I'm lucky it will get some responses and/or participants in that venue with photos and success stories, if any, on getting these insects back into an area. If anyone feels like contributing or just stopping by, the site is below.

Don't know if gardenweb will accept the link, but here goes: thefireflygarden.blogspot.com (thefireflygarden dot blogspot dot com)

Here is a link that might be useful: The firefly garden

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    12 years ago

Klippenwald, I almost think that you are over thinking this. ;-) That is probably a measure of your enthusiasm.

Lighting bug larvae are generalists...meaning that if it's edible, and in the soil, and they can catch it....it's lunchtime! They will even eat their own kind.

Most of their prey are normal, everyday residents of the average yard. Or, at least the property that is not nuked with pesticides in a regular basis. All properties can tolerate a population of such arthropods with little problem. You aren't going to have to corral them up to feed to the larvae.

As far as plants go....anything that can provide some protection, shade, etc. for the adults works. I see them hanging around all of my shrubs and perennials in my beds. When my husband and I sit out on the back patio of an evening, we can watch them swarming all over the place, even pretty high up into the trees. But they seem to like the shrub and perennial beds better.

ANY plant that is part of your normal landscape can provide cover for the short lived adults.

During times of hot, dry weather, they truly appreciate some moisture. I usually let the grass fend for itself in times like that but will water my ornamental beds.

• Klippenwald
    Original Author
    12 years ago

That's good to know info. Sounds more like the larvae are relatively indiscriminate, rather than seeking a preferred grub or worm. I guess this is good, because they'd help control the garden pests, but on the bad side many might try to kill the pests with insecticide and thereby kill the firefly larvae. I never really thought of them as potentially beneficial to a garden by feeding on slugs and snails, but it would seem that there might be a reason to encourage their population for that very purpose. I'm pretty quick to toss out slug bait when they start eating my Lupines and Foxgloves. A habit I will have to stop in order to keep fireflies happy.

Seems like a firefly garden might be pretty easy to start. Lots of cool, possibly rocky areas, that provide damp copl places for the slugs and snails to live in, some plants that you are willing to sacrifice as slug food, and some tall grasses. . Perhaps located near a compost pile, but away from the "good" garden plants that you want to keep the slugs away from.

There are no fireflies where I currently live, though at one time I'm sure there were. The usual culprits.

• haggard66
    9 years ago

My family and I just came back from our family reunion in the Smoky Mountains, and I noticed a massive abundance of Lightning bugs. It was there I realized we don`t have many back home in Texas. What they had that we didn't was higher humidity, larger amount of rain fall, and rotting woods. The Lightning bugs were so numerous, it was like daylight in the deep dark woods. I asked the gardener of the grounds what if any chemicals were used in the upkeep of the grounds/golf course. He stated commercial fertilizer and a chemical containing deet (13%) sprayed near golf grounds. This has been standard practice for decades. So, this did not affect lightning bugs, or at least if it did, it was not to a degree of eliminating the bugs. I am leaning to believe that my zone is not wet enough for a comfortable larvae population. Not sure if this will help any or not, just thought I would add my two cents.