Return to the Camping Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
setting up a tarp canopy??

Posted by michelliot (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 13, 06 at 15:50

To all,

I have a rather large tarp that I usually bring with us when we go camping in case of an emergency. In the future, I'd like to set the tarp up as a canopy for over the eating area or general protection when the storm arrives, and it will. I'd say it has rained EVERY time I've gone camping in the last six or so years. So it's expected. There must be some classic formations utilizing a retangular, riveted tarp in the 20'x30' range to prevent water buildup and promote a controlled runoff. Can anyone dictate setups (with or without poles) or guide me to a site that might have "how to" pictures within it?

Many thanks and be well,

Elliot

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: setting up a tarp canopy??

When setting up a large canopy. your canopy must have enough side poles to go in every other hole in the edges and corners, Those should be about 6-7 ft. long. then you will need longer poles for the center holes, at the peak, longer than the side poles, by about 3-4 ft.
Ropes at the corners, and at every side pole. stakes for each rope. You'll need 2 ropes at each corner, and stakes.
After many hours of work, trying this and that, measuring, trial and error, i think it would be much easier to go buy one of those nice canopies that come with all the pipes, gum-ball ties, poles the right length, and full instructions, and a heavy mill plastic covering, that is set up in ten minutes, and don't cost very much to buy!
I believe some company in Ohio makes and sells them.
We have in our camping group, a lot of people who have those canopies, and the set up time is very short!
Rustyj

o

I agree with Rusty, you can wrestle a tarp around and try to get it at a angle with one side low for run off ( not much fun wasting all that time).

We've tied a tarp to a tree on the short end, and then the other short side down to the ground with stakes. I tried having a over- hang part down to the one long side to cut out the rain from there, sort of like a lean to! It doesn't matter, Someone is always going to get wet!

Or... you can go buy a cheapie canopy. After it is popped up I just hook a tarp to 3 sides and it works great. I just use C clamps for that! Hook them in the grommets and clamp to the pole. You can always buy a new one next year, they are very inexpensive..did Kathy

o
RE: setting up a tarp canopy?? revisited!

Many years ago, we went on our first camping trip. I had an old WW I Army wall tent, some blankets, a homade ice box, 2 rolls of new clothesline, and a box of snap clothespins, a roll of the new-fangled clear plastic, an old gasoline stove, two very young kids, an intrepid wife, and an old '53 Mercury station wagon that looked like a fugitive from some junk yard! Ran good, though!
Went to Shawnee State Park!(I think it was near Schellsburg, Pa.) Nice day on Thursday, Friday dawned nice and clear, but the old Rusty Jones curse finally found us---it clouded up and poured! And poured, and poured! So, using the clothesline and the plastic and the snap clothespins, i managed to string up a nice web between the trees, and clamp the plastic onto the ropes, so we had a place to cook and sit down to eat!
Of course, the tent had no floor, and we had no cots, and the rain kept running in and out again! That night my wife and the youngest child slept in the car, and my older son and i slept on the picnic table, under the plastic!
The man in the next site must have thought we were gypsies, because he let his big dog sleep in his International Travelall, which was the pre-yuppie thing to tow his Air-stream trailer with!
Next day, after breakfast, we decided enough, what with the rain falling incessantly, and nobody talking to us, (The Gypsy thing, i guess!) we packed up and left for home!
And, the next summer, we had everything new for tent camping! I think my wife must of held up the bank for the gold to buy it all!
Of course, 20 miles on the road home, the rain stopped, the sun came out, and it turned into a nice day! BUT!! An hour after we got home, that danged rain caught up to us!
Rustyj

o

I hunt the Adirondacks.On past hunting trips we've used a tarp,rope and two trees.Tie the rope between the two trees at a hight that fits your needs.Center the tarp over the rope. Using shorter rope tie them to your eyelets and stake the other end to the ground. We've used them by them selves as a way to sit out while its raining.You can also do this over your tent.I've also used two small tarps as a tent.I placed one tarp on the ground under a tree. Then I tied a limb to the tree about three feet up.The other end angled down to the ground. The second tarp was centered over the limb.The corners on the low end were staked down. The upper corners were left hanging over the limb acting as doors.Looking head on at it it will form a triangle. My setup was under a large pine between two large roots.The pine needles acted as soft padding but also using a close cell foam pad for warmth. The inside was small but warm.This is perhaps the best nights sleeping I've had while hunting or camping.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Camping Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here