SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mozy1

How to introduce tent camping to newbies?

mozy1
18 years ago

We're going on our first camping trip this season in a month, with another family we've camped with before. A third family is coming but they've never camped together as a family. Thier daughters have done some scout camping, and the dad did some camping as a kid, but mom has never done anything like this. They're all pretty excited about the trip and I want to try to help them enjoy it as much as possible.

They have no gear, besides sleeping bags. They're looking at buying a large tent from Walmart, very inexpensive, in case they hate the whole experience. I don't know if I can find someone to lend them a tent...are people fussy about lending tents to newbie campers? (I just read the thread on the family who trashed the borrowed camper...shame on them!) We only have one tent, and I'm pretty anal about caring for it, so I'd be hesitant to loan it out. I can probably round up enough sleeping pads or air mattresses for them (it's a family of six, four kids ages from 3-11). They won't need a stove or lanterns or tools, because we'll have all that stuff for them. We'll divide the food responsiblities, so they'll have to worry about that.

I guess my question is...how much handholding should I do to make sure they like this? I have loved camping since I was a kid, and we only started family camping a few years ago and it all came so naturally to me. We had nothing, so over the past few years, we've accumulated a basic set of stuff to make tent camping convenient and fun and as comfortable as we can. We typically camp at state parks that have flush toilets and showers, playgrounds and other kid friendly amenities. We don't do electric.

Perhaps there's a good website with articles for them to read, or some good books for newbies for them to review before we go? Can anyone recommend any?

I'm really excited about this. These are people that we really enjoy, thier kids are terrific, my kids love thier kids, and I think it can be a real blast. I hope!

Comments (15)

Sponsored