SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bluekar_gw

From 4 t0 40 Bluebirds in 2 years; questions...

BlueKar
10 years ago

Hi everyone,

I'm from Georgia and new to Garden Web and a fairly new (amateur) bird watcher. In December of 2011, I had 4 Bluebirds show up at the bird feeders on the deck of our house (3 males and one female). The following spring, 2 of the males left and we had one couple. By the end of the summer 2012 we had over a dozen Bluebirds. This past year we had multiple couples who had multiple broods and we now have approximately 40 showing up daily! It's hard to get an exact count because there are so many and they often come all at once.

When the first 4 showed up in 2011, I regularly bought 6 ounce containers of dried mealworms; I now buy them in bulk; on average they, a few other birds, and infrequently a squirrel consume over 40 pounds every 4 to 6 weeks. Fortunately we can afford to do this; but I wonder if I'm over feeding them and thus making them dependent. Also, we are planning to move in the next year or so and I worry about how they'll do if they are no longer being fed.

I love our Bluebirds and could watch them all day. I particularly love seeing the fledglings arrive and watching them being fed. It's no wonder to me that they are called "Bluebirds of Happiness"!

Comment (1)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH