SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
msboc

Advice needed by oldie

msboc
10 years ago

Hi,

I'm new to this forum. I was an avid and successful bluebirder for years. Had a successful bluebird trail around the school where I taught and had two bluebird houses on my property one of which always had bluebirds while the other had tree swallows. The bluebirds used to come to my whistle for mealworms.

Then, about six years ago, a nest with eggs was destroyed by house sparrows. (someone had a horse nearby). After that the bluebirds never returned although the horses and hopefully the house sparrows with it. One of my houses and poles got destroyed and I didn't replace it. Ever since that time, I get tree swallows, but no bluebirds. My neighbor who is an acre away has been getting two nestings a season and sees them around. (We are divided by a swath of woods which I think would serve as an ample territorial barrier.

I'd like to set up another nestbox and replace the one I have in the hopes that for whatever reason, it doesn't appeal to bluebirds. (It's one of those "fancy" ones with a viewing side and a large predator guard that I was given as a present.)

So.... is the Peterson box still the box of choice? If not which? Predator guard or wait until they've built a nest?
Any other suggestions?

Thanks for any and all input.

Comments (3)