Return to the Bluebirding Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bluebird flocks

Posted by kendra2 (My Page) on
Fri, Oct 9, 09 at 20:22

How many of you are seeing the Bluebird flocks at this time of year? I haven't seen a Bluebird in my yard since the middle of summer. However, just down the street and up the hill at a neighbor's house, she has a huge flock of them. They are difficult to count, but looks to be between 30-35 of them. They are all over her trees, zooming about, eating berries and fighting the resident HOSPs. They have been there for four days now. They are in the trees all around her house, and it has been a great deal of fun to sit on her porch and watch the beautiful Blues. It gives me hope that I may be able to feed Bluebirds again this winter.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bluebird flocks

Wow, that's a lot of Bluebirds! Haven't seen any flocks but we did have 7 of them visiting the yard all together yesterday. That was a nice surprise!

o

It is a most amazing sight, at least to me. One of the reasons I posted this is because I was wondering if this is pretty normal, even though I've never seen it. Or it is unusual to see so many Blues at once? I really don't know. The large flock is still there as of today. Mostly they are feeding off of berries in the trees.

o

I have had small numbers (one family) of blues year round for almost 2 years, but have never seen a flock. I'm wondering if this has to do with the neighborhood/habitat or just luck??? Kendra, do you live near woods or farmland or suburbs?? My area is a mix of suburbs and wooded areas. Not much "grassland" with the exception of yards like mine.

Anyone else have any thoughts on this?

Thanks,

Ann

o

That's quite a crowd! See link below

Here is a link that might be useful: flocks of bluebirds

o

Thanks so much for your input Bet. That particular flock moved on after about 4 weeks. I am now hosting a small flock of 10 Eastern Bluebirds. They showed up on Dec. 24th, and have been here numerous times a day ever since. They were waiting for their breakfast this morning. They watch me fill their feeder from high in a tree about 40 feet away. I feed them mealworms and suet crumbles from a recipe I found at your site. I even found the instructions for making the feeder at your site. Thanks so much for putting in all the time to share all that information with us.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bluebirding Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here