Return to the Bluebirding Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How Large or Small are Bluebird Eggs?

Posted by lindama (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 11, 08 at 13:29

The reason I ask is on Saturday I was in my yard cleaning out my birdbath when I looked down to see a broken empty blue egg shell, it was pretty small but definitely a blue egg shell. Could it be possible that there's a nest somewhere in my area?

I live in Western MA and have not seen any bluebirds in my area so I'm a little perplexed. I know that there are bluebird trails up at the state forest but that's a few miles from my house. Are there other birds that have blue eggs? I would sure love to think that there are bluebirds in my area but I doubt it this late in the season for New England.

Thank you!
Linda

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How Large or Small are Bluebird Eggs?

Many wild bird eggs are blue. The most common ones we see are probably robins or bluebirds. But if you flip through the pages on this web site, http://www.wildbirds.org/info/eggs.htm you will see a wide variety of eggs of many colors.
Sometimes a broken empty egg shell is the result of a competitor, such as the House Wren, who quickly steals an egg from a nest by piercing it with his beak, taking the egg and dropping it some distance away. Ants will then clean out the egg contents.
Brown Headed Cowbirds are parasitic; they will remove a host egg and lay one of their own for the host to raise, often growing faster and eating more than the host's young. Cuckoos and maybe some other birds also do that.
Sometimes the parent bird takes the eggshells away as their young hatch, and sometimes they eat the shells, providing additional calcium in their diet.
But, knowing that that there are bluebird trails a few miles from your house, it is likely that bluebirds do nest nearby. A few miles is nothing to a bird, considering the distance some of them migrate.
As for size, Bet's web site provides a comparison with bluebird and robin eggs here: http://www.sialis.org/nests.htm
BlueBars

o
RE: How Large or Small are Bluebird Eggs?

Looking at Bet's site, the color of the Robin's egg is exactly the same as the shell I found, only it looked a bit smaller, about the size of the bluebird egg, but it could have very well been a Robin's if they nest this late in the season. There are a lot of Robin's in my backyard, there were a bunch of them out there last night.

Thank you BlueBars, I appreciate your response.

Linda

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bluebirding Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here