Return to the Bluebirding Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Heat killed eggs?

Posted by hallright (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 19, 14 at 15:01

My bluebird female had just finished laying 4 eggs. This was her third batch of the summer. All others hatched. Right after laying we had a heat wave in the Roseville area . It went up to close to 110 that day, and my box is in full sun. I tried putting up an umbrella, but the female wouldn't accept it.
Now it has been over 20 days, and still no hatching. Could the eggs have been killed by the heat? I'm going to wait a bit, as the female, as of yesterday, was still brooding. How long should I wait before removing the eggs? Or, should I wait until the birds remove them?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Heat killed eggs?

Have they hatched? I hope they did.

o
RE: Heat killed eggs?

Sialis site says this---According to Cornell, the optimal range for bird egg development is 96.8 °F to 104.9 °F (36 °C to 40.5 °C). If egg temperatures are lower, embryonic development slows. Higher temperatures can be lethal for the embryo.

Here is a link that might be useful: Heat- info is from Sialis dot org

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bluebirding Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here