SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mpoland33

2nd nesting

mpoland33
10 years ago

I had by far the most exciting experience over the weekend with the bluebirds. We had our 2nd nesting of the year and today was Mama's test fly day. This is only our 2nd year with a box but because of our yard layout, the box is on the side of the house with no windows...so we don't get to enjoy them in their box...just in our yard.

Anyway, My wife calls me around the house and mom and dad are watching from a nearby tree with the fledgling is in a tree. My wife walks a bit closer and Mama dive bombs her while the fledgling flies around to the front of the house. We decide to walk around the other side of the house to see if we can see it's first flight....unfortunately, the poor little guy made a visit to my garage. We decide to help it on its way out of the garage while the Mom and Dad (who were distracted by my wife at the time) lost site of the baby.

Anyway...that didn't last for too long and mom and dad found out our plan and decided they didn't want our help. They chased us out, but not before my wife was able to scoot the baby out of the garage and on to my car.

As exciting as that was, what I was able to see next was pretty awesome. The Mom, perched on a nearby tree, left her tree and came close to the fledgling, as if to say, "follow me" and took off across the street and on to the roof. It took about 10 seconds but it gathered up some guts and took off. He did miss the roof on the first try, landing against the siding of the 2nd level before correcting himself and lifting him up to the roof. From there Mom would go tree, to basketball hoop, to lamp post up the street with the baby following and dad looking out as a protection detail.

It was a pretty awesome site to see their first flight.

Comments (5)