SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
natrgrl33

Mourning a loss- Need support

Natrgrl33
9 years ago

Hello,
This is my first post and unfortunately not a good one. I have been bluebirding for three years. I was blessed with a successful pair and fledging my first year. The second year the pair returned but did not construct a nest. This year however I was overjoyed to see them begin construction once again in my nestbox.
The process was not easy and the pair was hindered by HOSP. There was a particular male HOSP constantly harassing. I set out my trap and that challenge was eliminated.
The female bluebird laid 4 eggs. Two nights ago around 930pm I noticed the nest box was turned on the pole slightly. I inspected and found scratch marks on the pole. I believed it to be from a raccoon. I greased the pole and waited for it to return. It ended up not being a raccoon but a stray cat. It came back twice that night and each time I was ready for it and chased it off. In the morning I was relieved to see the female bluebird back in the box unharmed. Well last night between 8-10 pm the cat must have come back and succeeded in his endeavors. At 10 pm I checked the box and it was turned once again but this time blue feathers were strewn around the ground and immediately my heart broke. The range of emotions I have felt since then have been overwhelming and my heart aches terribly. I was awake all night, back and forth watching the box from the window or sitting outside getting eaten by bugs waiting with a pellet gun to take care of this invader. He returned and it gave me hope that perhaps she got away and he was back to try again. I figured I would know for sure in the morning and finally went to bed about 230am. Well, I have now been up since 6am and it is nearly 8am and I have not seen any sight of her. Her mate was calling for her earlier from the telephone wires. I am utterly disappointed in myself, in God for not blessing and protecting that box as I asked Him to from the beginning and Im just not in a good place. It seems as though no one can understand my grief as I am the only blue birder I know. But the attachment I feel towards these birds is great and I am truly in mourning. It is therapeutic to write this but I still don't understand why. Cats happen to be my favorite animal and I have two myself but they stay in the house as they should! I cant stop wishing harm on this animal who took away my beautiful flash of blue. If anyone can offer any encouragement or even just sympathize it would be a great service to me. I honestly want to take the box down and never invite this trouble and worry into my life again. But I know that would be wrong. What do I do with the eggs? Will the male incubate them? Oh its just so sad. I can hardly take it.

Comments (8)

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida