Return to the Bluebirding Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What happened to my Bluebirds?

Posted by rebeccah_2009 (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 4, 13 at 0:23

i had a family of Bluebirds here and now they have disappeared. There were four babies and when i looked in the nest they were gone and so are the adults. We have Bluebirds year round here and I didn't see any sign of a predator. The birds a few days prior didn't look big enough to leave the nest yet. I'm just wondering what could have happened?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What happened to my Bluebirds?

How old were the babies? They usually fledge around day 19, but can fledge as early as day 16. Do you have a predator guard on your pole? If a snake got in there, they can clear out a nest without leaving a mess, and the parent birds would leave. Hopefully that's not the case. I've seen baby birds in open nests (not Blues) jump the nest when a snake gets near. They just dive out even if they're not yet able to fly. But if you know how old they were, they may have been ready to leave? That's my hope anyway.

o

My female has abandoned the nest. The male keeps coming back, going in and out of the nest. The female returns rarely, mostly watching, very few times going in the box. They set up their nest approx. 2 weeks ago. It is a nesting box and I can't see down in it. This is my second year to feed birds, first year to put up birdhouses. I had a successful crop of Chickadees in this same box earlier this season. What should I do?

o

I had many broods of bb over the past 10 years in a box located on my deck
Last summer the sparrows took over the box will I ever b able to get the bb's back

o

I had many broods of bb over the past 10 years in a box located on my deck
Last summer the sparrows took over the box will I ever b able to get the bb's back

o

Yes, you will be able to get the bb's back - provided you get tough with the sparrows*. You can invest in a VanErt sparrow trap or an elevator cage trap & dispose of them when caught. Go online under Bluebird enemies and VanErt traps for more information.
*English(house)sparrows are not protected by law.

o

cindy.holiman2511
I have just found this forum, but wanted to respond to your post. Please get bluebird boxes that you can open and monitor. The blues are people friendly and will not abandon the nest even if you check it daily. That way you can head off some problems like wasps and ants in the box. Last summer I found a dead baby bird in one of my boxes and was able to remove it so the parents could continue to raise the others to fledge. In addition, the blues will nest up to 3 times per season, so you need to clean the old nests out of the boxes as soon as the babies fledge. Snakes are one of the worst predators so you need a snake baffle or do as I do. I twist deer netting around the base of the pole up about 2'. The snakes get caught and I cut them out and release them miles away in the woods.

o

You will put yourself and birds in a world of hurt if you don't put up stovepipe baffles on your boxes to protect them against raccoons and snakes. If you do not trap and eliminate sparrows in your neighborhood, you are giving a death sentence to your blues too. Always buy or make your own boxes that open. This is not a hobby where you can just put up a box and leave it. There is a lot of work involved and if you put in the effort, you will be rewarded in the end.

I would like to invite you to join the bluebird nut cafe forum. It is much more active than this site and we have many veteran bluebirders that can give quick answers. Check us out!

http://bluebirdnutcafe.yuku.com/

o

I have the same question as Kendra. How old were the babies?

o

I use a sparrow spooker on my nesting box. I put it up after the first egg is laid. It does work. I also use fishing line tacked on either side of the entrance hole.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bluebirding Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here