Return to the Bluebirding Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bluebird pecking on windows

Posted by carol50_2009 (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 17, 09 at 12:08

We have a birdhouse on our front porch that has been used for several years by the same pair of bluebirds (I think it's the same pair). The babies just hatched and ever since, the male has been pecking at our windows. I thought initially that he selected the first set because for once they were clean! and they are closest to the nest. However, when I pulled all the blinds he moved on to the next window which has not been cleaned recently, so that theory has been shot down. I covered that window and he moved on to the next. After we went through this with all the windows in the front of the house, he immediately went to the back of the house and started! Does anyone have any idea why he is doing this? Could this be a new pair of birds? If it is the same pair as in years past, he has never acted like this. Does anyone have any suggestions how to make him stop? He's not running into the windows but he's pecking on them. I'm really afraid he is going to drive himself crazy doing this.

Thanks in advance for all your advice. This is my first time on this forum. I searched the web to find experts in bird behavior and this seems to be a great source of information!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bluebird pecking on windows

Eventually they stop, but they can really drive us crazy, and make a mess of our windows. It is territorial behavior. They think their reflection is a competitor. There are good solutions here: http://www.sialis.org/windowstrikes.htm
BlueBars

o
RE: Bluebird pecking on windows

Thank you for your response. The article is very interesting,especially the part about the birds alerting people to problems around the nest. That was actually my first thought when he started doing this because the behavior is so out of the ordinary for him. I looked around the bushes for snakes, but I will inspect the birdhouse better when I get home.
I think it is very interesting that he went all the way around to the back of the house once I covered up the front windows.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bluebirding Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here