SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
beesneeds

making suet cakes/ commercial cakes

beesneeds
9 years ago

I wasn't sure if this is the right forum for this, but it seemed like it. Sorry if the post seems rambling.

I'm curious as to if anyone makes their own suet cakes, and if so, how much the birds seem to like them over commercial cakes. And if you make your own, what recipes you use.

I know there are a lot of recipes out there, and I've looked at a lot of them, so I'm not asking for links to recipes. I'm asking about advice from people that have actually made the stuff and have experience with it.

Last winter, I made my own suet cakes, and used some commercial cakes. The birds seemed to like both fine, but made more of a mess with the commercial cakes- as in picking them apart and leaving stuff on the ground. So I tried some cakes that were seed blocks? The kind that is all seed and glued together with I don't know what. Those seemed to have less mess on the ground than the commercial suet, but more mess than my homemade suet.
So I thought maybe this year of trying to make some of my own seed blocks- but I'm not sure what recipe would be good that the birds actually like.
Last year for my suet cakes I used equal amounts of peanut butter and vegetable shortening (that's what I had in the house at the moment)- but I've read that using animal fat is better. Can I use lard, or do I really need to render fat? Can I use bacon grease? I always save all my bacon grease.

Comments (5)