SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
joan754

Late goldfinch family

joan754
9 years ago

Two days ago a goldfinch family came to my sunflower feeder. I could not believe how late in the year this family hatched. I live in Saskatchewan, Canada and our temps this time of the year usually are in the single digits (celcius) during the day and it has been dropping to below freezing at nights. Usually the goldfinches are gone by now. The mom is still feeding the young at my feeder. The little ones sit on the tree branches frantically flapping their wings, begging for food. They can, however, feed themselves as well. The last couple of days have been unseasonably warm, mid teens. The long-range temps are for really warm (for this part of the country - mid teens again) for the next week or so. That should help this family fatten up and get their strength up to make the journey south. I have never seen a young family like this so late in the year. I think the male has already changed to his "winter" colors as I don't see a male with the bright yellow plummage around. I sure hope this family gets strong enough to make the southern trip before the snow starts flying. I wonder whatever made them nest so late in the year.

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living