Return to the Bird Watching Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sparrow with no tail?

Posted by schoolhouse (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 27, 09 at 15:15

I really couldn't believe it,but he appeared so round and plump I knew that something was missing. No tail! He was sitting on the porch while the rest of the sparrows flitted around the bird feeder. Just to see if he could fly, I rapped on the window and off he flew. Obviously a close encounter with a predator? I guess he'll be alright, didn't see a gaping wound just a little white stub. He was tan with brown, not the grey with a black head; certain he was a sparrow.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sparrow with no tail?

wish you could've gotten a pic!!

Here is a link that might be useful: binocular harness

o

Honestly, I stood at the window for quite awhile after my post hoping to see it among all the other sparrows and if I did to try and snap a photo. Maybe it will be back tomorrow. He/she was so cute! Little stumpy butt.

o

I've seen this bird three times since and tried to snap a photo, but the sparrow spooks and flies off. He stays with the flock mostly. In fact just awhile ago I was drinking coffee on the back porch and two bird feeders hang less than three feet away. He landed twice on the feeder but saw me and took off. I watched him go to the other bird feeder that is probably 15yds. away at the edge of the field, and he is now hanging around there with a bunch of other sparrows. Seems to balance okay on the feeder. Looks like a little brown puff ball flying through the air!

I have my camera out now and will give it another try today.

o

I got him! Pics aren't very clear but I tried to show that his tail is missing or just deformed. Is it a fledgling at this time of year?

He/she is sitting on the other side of the sparrow in the foreground:

o

Cats do that to lucky birds. Better than getting mauled.

o

Doesn't bother his flight any; so I guess he'll be alright. Glad there was no infection, it looks healed back there as far as I can determine. This morning he was on the feeder and suddenly turned and stared through the window at me. Okay! No more photos I promise!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bird Watching Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here