Return to the Bird Watching Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Do finches migrate?

Posted by timjc (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 18, 10 at 20:39

Do finches migrate? I had about 7 finches on my feeder today and it's the most I've had. I'm in zone 7, Northern VA and wonder if they will be staying or just moving through the area.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Do finches migrate?

here my situation is probably different from yours. I live in the foothills and the mountains are only a short distance away to the north and the river valleys and canyons just south of here. The finches show up in early spring and nest close by and have several broods of young ones..They take off for the mountains during the hot summers up into fall. And they come back thru here in fall and move down into the lower elevations during winter and the snows to return again in the spring

o

I dont know why but some do and some dont. I have lots of Gold Finches here year round but I have a very large flock that gathers every winter. Seeing 30 or 40 at a time is usual for spring to fall but well over 100 in the winter.

o

We have finches year round. My cat Mattie Mae lays right by window. They don't mind her. Got nice picture of her doing it.

o

I am not certain about other Finches but as a rule the American Gold Finch tends to stay in the same region year around however they undergo a rather remarkable color change from summer to winter.

In their summer or "Breeding Plumage" the males are bright yellow with black wings and are commonly called wild canaries.

In winter the males have a smooth chocolate brown color with black wings and are often mistaken for sparrows.

I am attaching some photos that I took while living in N. E. Ohio (Youngstown, Oh) which has climatic conditions quite similar to N. Virginia.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

o

I am in South France and they certainly do. Green finches, occasional and very rare bullfinches and some gold finches appear on the feeders. Chaffinches seem to be about most of the year.

o

i would say yes. last winter i had tons of them, but i have yet to see a single one in spring or summer. i never see them w/ the beautiful yellow! :(

o

I feed them nyjer seed and they are at my feeders year round, particularly in winter, here in Zone 5. I love them and can't wait to see their color change in spring.

o

Here in Texas, we have Goldfinches and House Finches year around. Purple Finches in the winter.

o

I don't think our goldfinches here in Southeastern TN migrate. But they sure do change colors. We leave our finch feeder up year round.

How would I know what zone I am in -- is it the same as gardening zones?

Georgia_Kate -- what part of Georgia? You're probably not all that different from me.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bird Watching Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here