Return to the Bird Watching Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Do pennies really keep algae out of birdbath?

Posted by Eric580 (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 15, 12 at 22:44

I put four pennies in my standing water birdbath to prevent algae growth in it. Should I add more or is there another way? Please help

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Do pennies really keep algae out of birdbath?

I'd be interested to know too. I tip my birdbath and wash it out, haven't tried any other way.

o

Last year I did some searching and found an old thread on keeping/cleaning a bird bath on another forum.

Apparently new pennies (1982 and later) are mostly zinc, not copper, so they don't work like copper.

One of my bird baths is copper, the others are all plastic or rubber, and the copper bird bath always has minimal algae. It still gets unpleasant from bird droppings, but that's a different issue.

Because of that thread I tried adding a few small copper pipe fittings I got at Home Depot to the plastic and rubber birdbaths. It definitely cut down on the algae. The only problem is that I keep losing fittings when I dump out or flush the birdbaths. A bigger copper pipe would probably be much better and I think I'll put that on my shopping list.

In warm weather I flush out all of the birdbaths every day (lots of bird droppings). In the winter when the hoses are shut down, I use watering cans.

Claire

o
RERE: Do pennies really keep algae out of birdbath?

I forgot to say that I occasionally use a scrub brush when the algae growth gets annoying.

Claire

o

A toilet-bowl brush plus Soft Scrub cleaner with bleach is also effective.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bird Watching Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here