SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
zensojourner

Attracting quail and goldfinches to my yard - SUCCESS! Oooops .

Pyewacket
9 years ago

So awhile back I had put out my feeder and was promptly absolutely mobbed by the dreaded English house sparrow hordes. I'd have 40 or more at a time out there. They drove off ALL the other birds, including both the mountain Jays and even the hummingbirds! They actually seemed to attract pigeons with their seed scattering ways.

So I had to bring in the feeder. I think the hummers have come back, but if so, they are MUCH shyer than they were before. I have not seen one yet, but the feeder does seem to get emptied somehow.

However I have had success with goldfinches:

And yes, that nyjer feeder needs to be refilled - it was still 3/4 full a couple days ago, I swear! (It is full now, and covered with goldfinches. BTW - are those Lesser or American Goldfinches? I'm thinking Lesser - but I thought Lesser females were a lot darker and more obviously olive-y than these look ...

Anyway. I've also been successful with the quail!

Awwwww, cute!

Your browser does not support video

Hey, wait ...

OH NOES!

"I'm in Ur gardin - fluffin' mah feathers!"

Your browser does not support video

(And yes - *sigh* - that patio door window needs to be cleaned, LOL!)

Leaving little quail-size holes all over the garden. OK, mostly in the weedy part - but not entirely! Also in the section I have gradually been building a rock garden in! "Gradual" being the operative word there, as I've been using found rocks, and I haven't found many lately.

AAACK! Now what? I guess I will have to put bark mulch down where I wanted rock. And to be nice I should probably build the quail a sandbox!

Should I put out grit and/or calcium supplements for them as well? I have a "quail" block out, but it attracts pigeons too, LOL!

Comment (1)