Return to the Bird Watching Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
roasted peanuts vs raw peanuts

Posted by ontario_backyard (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 27, 09 at 21:13

...unsalted of course. My backyard birds eat both roasted and raw peanuts, I wonder what is better for them. Any thoughts?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: roasted peanuts vs raw peanuts

I use both.

I use raw, whole peanuts in the shell. The shell provides some protection from pathogens that might harm the birds. The jays love them
I use roasted, or blanched, splits. The cooking kills off any salmonella present prior to bagging and shipping.

o

Salt can kill birds, and cooking kills enzymes and much nutrition value in food

o

How about just plain old raw, unsalted boiled peanuts still in the shell?

o

"Boiled" peanuts are not "raw" peanuts to my way of thinking.

I'm not sure what I use--the peanuts-in-shell are "raw" I'm pretty sure, but the pieces (look like warehouse sweepings) might be roasted. I'll taste one next time I am out there (the deck and "three seasons" room where thge bird stuff is).

o

Obviously after being boiled they are no longer raw, but the reason I mention it is for those of you that are worried about the birds. I buy raw peanuts in the shells, neither roasted nor salted. They can just be boiled for a short while if you are worried about pathogens harming the birds or roasted.

I found the following information on website: http://www.avianweb.com/feedingwildbirds.html

Peanuts: Feeding shelled unsalted peanuts isn't messy and they are highly nutritious for the birds that can eat them. Most birds can shell whole (unshelled) peanuts, with varying degrees of effort. Squirrels love peanuts. However, don't feed RAW peanuts to squirrels and other animals because it can seriously hurt them. Raw peanuts and other legumes contain a trypsin inhibitor or substance that inhibits or prevents the pancreas from producing trypsin, an enzyme essential for the absorption of protein by the intestine. Squirrels fed a steady diet of raw peanuts, soybeans. other legumes, and sweet potatoes could easily develop severe malnutrition. According to the Washington State Cooperative Extension Service, roasting hulled raw peanuts for 20 to 30 minutes at 300 degrees Fahrenheit, stirring them frequently, will destroy the trypsin inhibitor and render them suitable for feed. If that sounds like a lot of work, buy roasted peanuts but be sure they aren't salted. (Salted nuts of any kind should never be fed to wild animals.)

Peanuts are liked by the following birds: Bluejays, Scrub Jays, House Finches, Cardinals, Woodpeckers, Magpies, Chickadees, Nuthatches, Titmice, White-crowned and White-throated Sparrows eat peanuts.

o

I am wondering about the cautionary note against feeding raw peanuts to wild animals, including wild birds. The cautionary note is pretty strongly worded. Wild birds and other wild animals eat raw peanuts all the time. Of course, any lopsided diet, of peanuts or otherwise, will always be bad.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bird Watching Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here